Novalager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm drinking it too early, but the point of this yeast is quick fermentation and maturation.

I get soft red berry again, this is less than first try. No Saphir in this recipe. Perhaps it's the red apple ester Lallemand say it has and I'm just misinterpreting that. Will try and lager it a bit longer but don't think it will change much.

Have been drinking more lagers (classic and more modern) recently and not had anything like this (mostly) aroma or slight flavour experience. It's not bad, it's just noticeable. Maybe it just isn't designed for more subtle styles?

I've dry hopped both during fermentation (second inadvertently) but don't think that's the culprit.

Will see how Diamond I'm fermenting now fares, next up I have German X (the Andechs strain).

Don't particularly need a fast fermenting lager yeast now, but might give it another go in an NZ Pils or something which might overpower whatever ester it is I'm getting.
Was there much of a lag time? I pitched almost 24 hours ago at 15C and there is no sign of life. Starting to get worried because I thought this yeast was a ripper.

I bought two packs to try warm and cold fermented.
First was a Pilsener at 12c which attenuated to 84% with no apple or off flavours and cleared well after some initial haziness.
20231223_182634.jpg

Decent enough but if anything a little bland, I've used Lalbrew Diamond previously which has a little more bite or crispy character I prefer.

My plan was to use the other pack in a Cali Common at ale temp but found its high attenuation makes it unsuitable for the style when putting a recipe together.

Seems to me there are other yeasts which are better choices for both Pseudo lagers and Cali Commons/steam beers so probably won't be using it again.

Back