Norwich Amateur Brewers - Brew Like A Monk (14 October 2023)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Comp will be hosted at Ampersand Brew Co in Diss. Top brewers and lovely people. Last year, when we were planning our first competition, our friends at LAB told us that the hardest thing was to get the venue. Well Andy and Amy at Ampersand made it easy for us. Big thanks going out to them.

You are going to need an Equity card at this rate
Cheers @nickjdavis - always trying to shake things up + try new things.

At the heart of it, there are some great people in our small homebrewing corner of the world, who share our passions and go out of their way to get involved and help us out. It's always good to say thank you.

Tempted. I have only ever made a Belgian Wit beer, so this might push me to try something new.
Oh I totally forgot, I made a clone of the Spencer Trappist Beer (Belgian Blond style) a few years back. I'd bet I'd do a better job now.

Can I suggest that everyone's first step is to drink lots and lots of amazing Belgian beer!
I am not that familiar with all the different styles. I remember the few times I have been in Belgium just picking them randomly off the menus without a clue what I was ordering, or because I was out with locals (work trips), they would just suggest things to try. They were all delicious though.
Do you have a recommendation for a website to get a few types to to try? I mean, I think I can get some styles in Tesco, but there must be somewhere I can get Belgian beers for dummies?

Oh I totally forgot, I made a clone of the Spencer Trappist Beer (Belgian Blond style) a few years back. I'd bet I'd do a better job now.

I am not that familiar with all the different styles. I remember the few times I have been in Belgium just picking them randomly off the menus without a clue what I was ordering, or because I was out with locals (work trips), they would just suggest things to try. They were all delicious though.
Do you have a recommendation for a website to get a few types to to try? I mean, I think I can get some styles in Tesco, but there must be somewhere I can get Belgian beers for dummies?
They have a good selection
https://www.beersniffers.co.uk/?gcl...qo7Eds9Q8FfXKpSzQaNfZfv9TDJF5aREaAg3CEALw_wcB

Some good suggestions there.

I would suggest:
- read the style guidelines
- pick 2 or 3 styles that leap out at you
- order a couple of examples of each (there are suggestions in the style guides)
- drink and think
- pick 2 styles to research
- think about timing, some of these beers will need 6 months, that is one reason why we launched so early (September will be too late to brew a dark strong)
- brew

I call into Buy Beer Online | Beer Delivery | Britain's biggest World Beer shop from time to time, and they have a massive range, though beautiful beers is outstanding.
(of course, some styles can be found in supermarkets - belgian wit (hoegaarden) and belgian blond (Leffe) very easily - and even dubbels/tripels can be found in many supermarkets)

Best wishes, Martin

@MartinHaworth
Just gone to pay for my entry & seen that the style I had originally entered, Flanders Red Ale, is no longer on the list. My backup was a saison & that's not on there either. Is that right?

It looks like Belgian IPA has been added, but a good few others removed. Technical hitch?

Screenshot_20230310_140744_Chrome.jpg

Back