New speed limit laws

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we're all being a bit over sensitive here. As above, the laws in the UK aren't that strict. If you buy a car made in Europe, in theory it could have this built in, but chances are, it can also be deactivated by the dealer.

My (now) 12 year old Mercedes had this in - it would flash up if you were going over the limit that the built-in camera spotted (and it wasn't the top-of-the-range - very mid-range)

My current milk-float has it too. As does Waze, my choice of Sat-Nav.

The other thing that the Express (which isn't the best source of truth, but in this case makes the point) points out is that by pressing down on the accelerator, it overrides it, even if it's built in. Even the Police admit, breaking the speed limit on a motorway to overtake sometimes is safer than braking, in short and extreme circumstances (hence why you get a bit of leeway).

Frankly, driving on main roads and motorways isn't the fun it was 30 years ago when I started driving. I remember the first speed cameras coming in. And then the average speed cameras.
There are times I think they're necessary - I've lived in towns and villages for many years where people think it's a great idea to go spinning up a side road at 60mph. But in other places, not so much. Motorway cameras are just a con - safest roads in the world. Hence why the Autobahn is fairly unrestricted.

Did anyone here know about this new law being forced on us on 7 July?

In the article it says some cars will have an advisory system but then it goes on to say "The new rules, set to take effect in July, introduce 'mandatory' speed limiters which will automatically reduce your speed" if cars are fitted with advisory systems people will just ignore the warning and still drive at higher speeds.

Cars that will be affected by new speed limit laws that will ‘change how we drive’ as Brits given one week warning

The change will come into law in July 2024

In case you weren't aware, UK drivers are set to undergo a major change which could see the way we drive changed forever.

We're of course talking about the new law regarding mandatory speed limiters that is set to come into effect from 7 July 2024.

But what cars will be impacted by the change in the law?

According to the new law, all new cars bought after 7 July will need to be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) system, with all car manufacturers in the UK legally required to make sure all cars on sale have speed limiters fitted to them.

They will also be required to make sure older models for sale are retroactively fitted with ISA systems before purchase.

So there you have it, any new car bought after 7 July will have a come with a speed limiter already fitted.

What is a speed limiter?

Simply put, a speed limiter is a device that aims stops your car travelling above a certain speed.

Unlike cruise control, which is used to make long journeys more comfortable, you'll still accelerate as normal but the limiter will produce warnings or may even reduce engine power.

Where did the new law on speed limiters come from?

The law on speed limiters was originally introduced back in 2022 by the European Union. Now you may be thinking that Brexit would make us exempt from the new rules, however, the UK has also chosen to ratify the law over here.

This means that speed limiters will not only be mandatory in the UK but across the whole of the continent.

How will the speed limiters work?

According to WeBuyAnyCar, the new speed limiters will either use an ISA system (which uses cameras to traffic signs), GPS technology or a mix of both to regulate drivers' speed.

Some cars may even use a mix of both systems.

The systems will either be advisory, supportive or intervening. In simple terms, this means that cars will be automatically limited to the speed of the road they're on.

An advisory system is the least invasive of the three, with a warning symbol popping up on the driver's screen if they exceed the speed limit. Whereas a mandatory limiter will reduce engine power if you exceed the speed limit of a certain road.

"The new rules, set to take effect in July, introduce 'mandatory' speed limiters, changing how we drive on roads. These Intelligent Speed Assistance systems will become standard, forcing drivers to stick to speed limits automatically,” said a spokesperson for Motor Match said.

Experts insist the move will reduce collisions on UK roads though not everyone is convinced, with concerns already being raised over the change.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/speed-limiters-new-car-law-211444-20240626
Not GB apparently:-
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/news/mandatory-speed-limiters-on-uk-cars-from-2022

Did anyone here know about this new law being forced on us on 7 July?

In the article it says some cars will have an advisory system but then it goes on to say "The new rules, set to take effect in July, introduce 'mandatory' speed limiters which will automatically reduce your speed" if cars are fitted with advisory systems people will just ignore the warning and still drive at higher speeds.

Cars that will be affected by new speed limit laws that will ‘change how we drive’ as Brits given one week warning

The change will come into law in July 2024

In case you weren't aware, UK drivers are set to undergo a major change which could see the way we drive changed forever.

We're of course talking about the new law regarding mandatory speed limiters that is set to come into effect from 7 July 2024.

But what cars will be impacted by the change in the law?

According to the new law, all new cars bought after 7 July will need to be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) system, with all car manufacturers in the UK legally required to make sure all cars on sale have speed limiters fitted to them.

They will also be required to make sure older models for sale are retroactively fitted with ISA systems before purchase.

So there you have it, any new car bought after 7 July will have a come with a speed limiter already fitted.

What is a speed limiter?

Simply put, a speed limiter is a device that aims stops your car travelling above a certain speed.

Unlike cruise control, which is used to make long journeys more comfortable, you'll still accelerate as normal but the limiter will produce warnings or may even reduce engine power.

Where did the new law on speed limiters come from?

The law on speed limiters was originally introduced back in 2022 by the European Union. Now you may be thinking that Brexit would make us exempt from the new rules, however, the UK has also chosen to ratify the law over here.

This means that speed limiters will not only be mandatory in the UK but across the whole of the continent.

How will the speed limiters work?

According to WeBuyAnyCar, the new speed limiters will either use an ISA system (which uses cameras to traffic signs), GPS technology or a mix of both to regulate drivers' speed.

Some cars may even use a mix of both systems.

The systems will either be advisory, supportive or intervening. In simple terms, this means that cars will be automatically limited to the speed of the road they're on.

An advisory system is the least invasive of the three, with a warning symbol popping up on the driver's screen if they exceed the speed limit. Whereas a mandatory limiter will reduce engine power if you exceed the speed limit of a certain road.

"The new rules, set to take effect in July, introduce 'mandatory' speed limiters, changing how we drive on roads. These Intelligent Speed Assistance systems will become standard, forcing drivers to stick to speed limits automatically,” said a spokesperson for Motor Match said.

Experts insist the move will reduce collisions on UK roads though not everyone is convinced, with concerns already being raised over the change.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/speed-limiters-new-car-law-211444-20240626
Is today April 1st - or do we believe and repeat anything that anybody says - the website is LADBIBLE.COM

My car has camera recognition and speed limit warning and it often flashes up 10mph or 20mph when going past a supermarket car park on a 30mph road imagine if the car had auto speed limit i would be travelling at 20mph below the limit.
chippy - do you believe this is a genuine true news story

Indeed. I've heard about the mandatory inclusion of a user-configurable speed limiter (which most modern cars with cruise control have anyway) and an audible/visual warning when exceeding the limit, but today is the first time I've heard about actual mechanical enforcement of the limit.

Without having done any detailed research and with no desire to spend any time doing so, I'm internally discounting it as fake news. News generates clicks and clicks generate advertising revenue, so the more clicks the better. It's easy to embellish fact with some hand-wringing fiction with the usual "15 minute city"/"you will own nothing and be happy"/"you will be repressed" dystopian nonsense the tin-foil-hat wearers love to read in order to provide positive reinforcement of their beliefs - and then a week later add a small correction to the article admitting the news was factually incorrect when all of the traffic has stopped anyway.
so why does this forum publicise fake news

Not so much fake news as poor level of detail, but lets be honest manufacturers are not going to configure UK spec only cars, once they have achieved type certification its not cost effective make UK specific models plus it would lower the safety rating and we all know how much the manufacturers love the crow about that.

On plus side looks like systems are not going to apply brakes - I would like to see this widened to include any form of regen on EVs or hybrids to avoid brake test situations.
Also looks like cruise control in the sense it can be overridden by applying full throttle.
Anything that is seen a safety aid SHOULD lower car insurance as well?

On plus side looks like systems are not going to apply brakes - I would like to see this widened to include any form of regen on EVs or hybrids to avoid brake test situations.
Also looks like cruise control in the sense it can be overridden by applying full throttle.
Anything that is seen a safety aid SHOULD lower car insurance as well?
Does yours not do this?

When I slow down on regen, it applies my brake lights.

Is today April 1st - or do we believe and repeat anything that anybody says - the website is LADBIBLE.COM
chippy - do you believe this is a genuine true news story
so why does this forum publicise fake news

@bobukbrewer - Its not fake news you need to read the full thread instead of jumping in two pages in and leaving comments!

Did you read this post?

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/new-speed-limit-laws.105263/post-1284397

Last edited:
Does yours not do this?

When I slow down on regen, it applies my brake lights.
Yes that was my point if an active system cuts the throttle on an ICE it gently reduces speed well depends on the speed and aero drag etc and so on.

BUT in EVs this could be a huge issue as regen can be more powerful than brakes and could effectively brake test other cars and take the driver by surprise, the implications for EVs and hybrids are very different to ICE

Yes that was my point if an active system cuts the throttle on an ICE it gently reduces speed well depends on the speed and aero drag etc and so on.

BUT in EVs this could be a huge issue as regen can be more powerful than brakes and could effectively brake test other cars and take the driver by surprise, the implications for EVs and hybrids are very different to ICE
Ah, I'm with you.

I'd be very surprised if it uses full regen though. Mine allows me to set the regen. I'm pretty sure the system behind this would use the least regen possible. And it's hardly going to slam you. Although if you're braking from 70-30 (which is pretty rare), I'd like to hope you (and the car behind you) has looked at this possibility.

Ah, I'm with you.

I'd be very surprised if it uses full regen though. Mine allows me to set the regen. I'm pretty sure the system behind this would use the least regen possible. And it's hardly going to slam you. Although if you're braking from 70-30 (which is pretty rare), I'd like to hope you (and the car behind you) has looked at this possibility.
in speed reduction situations where the car reduces speed due to a law rather than slamming the anchors on for safety in event of a crash there would have to be a cap on maximum allowed deceleration. unless doing so would make it hit a granny doing 20 in front on a 50 road and you've come of the motorway doing 70. So glad I don't have to write software like that anymore.

Imagine my horror when, whilst driving along a 70mph urban dual carriageway on cruise control, it spotted a 30mph sign on a service road. Luckily, there was nobody directly behind me. I disabled it immediately, and it remained de-activated for the rest of the time I had the car.
There is a section on the A38 before Derby like that, luckily my car just warns and I have to press a button to accept the new limit it’s detected from the sign. All this reliance on technology just makes you complacent, I certainly think there are a lot more truly awful motorway drivers than there used to be.

Says he had to do a speed awareness course not that long ago :coat:

Latest posts

Back