New here, another American, lol, with a silly question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi and welcome to the forum brethren :lol: :cheers:

Sure someone will be along soon to help with the hops

Welcome to the forum :thumb:

We have a number of Irish brewers here, so hopefully you will get some help :thumb:

sure most of the Great British type hops will have no prob growing in Ireland but will have to search the irish sites for any that are still grown thier
Irish craft brewers might be a good source for an anwser but dont take that as a indication that you shouldnt be here as we want to welcome all

None grown here on a comercial scale, some brewers grow their own but most get them from abroad, too wet really, mould problems at the end of summer.
Welcome to the Forum :cheers:
Bru
Cork

Bru4u said:
None grown here on a comercial scale, some brewers grow their own but most get them from abroad, too wet really, mould problems at the end of summer.
Welcome to the Forum :cheers:
Bru
Cork
I suspected as much on the mold issue, thanks for the reply

I too grow some of my own hops, and live very close to one of the worlds most prolific hops growing areas, so availability is not difficult

part of my curiosity is my largely irish heritage, some of which originates in Cork.

welcome to the forum
we have only about 3000 acres left in the uk for growing hops, how times change we had 20,000 acres back in 1968 try and grow your own.

It's looking like your best bet for Irish Hops is a Michael Flatley DVD! :rofl:

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Apples might be a better bet from Ireland.

Sorry for asking but why do you want Irish Hops.

UP

unclepumble said:
It's looking like your best bet for Irish Hops is a Michael Flatley DVD! :rofl:

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Apples might be a better bet from Ireland.

Sorry for asking but why do you want Irish Hops.

UP
LOL

Only real reason to try to find Irish hops is sentimentality really, I am 3/4 of Irish heritage, so I thought what the heck, might as well ask.

Heck the State I reside in is Washington, there a 10's of thousands of acres of hops withing 200 miles of me, and i grow my own as well.

Are you looking for any variety of hops grown in Ireland or for varieties of hops used in Irish beer?

If the former, you will struggle. If the latter, probably best to look for some old English varieties like fuggles and east kent goldings.

jonewer said:
Are you looking for any variety of hops grown in Ireland or for varieties of hops used in Irish beer?

If the former, you will struggle. If the latter, probably best to look for some old English varieties like fuggles and east kent goldings.
unfortunately the former, thanks for the info though

Back