My new (complicated) fermentation vessel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffers brewery

Complicated Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After five years or so of using a plastic lidded fermentation bucket and brewing highly hopped NEIPAs on a regular basis I decided to replace my old bucket fermenter with something a bit better. The new fermenter had to:
  1. Have an airtight lid
  2. Have a large opening to facilitate cleaning
  3. Have a lid large enough to be fitted with my trapdoor design of dry hopper with a 300g capacity
  4. Have a sufficiently large capacity to take a 5 gallon brew and leave adequate headspace to allow the dry hopper to stay clear of a rising krausen
  5. Be fitted with a dip tube with a magnetic float to allow the dip tube inlet to be held clear of the fermenting beer and only released when transferring or taking samples.
  6. Fit in a “standard” fridge.
I looked at the various off-the-shelf offerings but predictably couldn’t find anything. Only one thing for it. Make my own!

Found a 40 ltr cubic plastic storage keg, air and water tight with a gaping 282mm diameter opening that fits nicely into my brew fridge.
Screenshot_20240914-124243~2.png

The flat sides allowed the fitting of a push-fit bulkhead fitting to connect a dip tube on the inside and a corny beer post on the outside for transferring the finished beer.

The large diameter lid has a concave surface so I had to design a new dry hopper to fit. Needed stronger magnets as the lid was seriously thick.

The finished item has more than a passing resemblance to the Star wars robot, R2D2 😂

IMG_20240911_145128838.jpg

This shows it strapped to a truck I used for my bucket fermenter. The black disc on top of the lid houses the magnets that keep the dry hopper trapdoors shut. A 90 degree twist to release.
IMG_20240911_145152732.jpg

This shows the underside of the lid with the dry hopper.
IMG_20240911_145237563.jpg

Trapdoors open. I used a JG bulkhead fitting in the lid centre to vent the gas to an external bubbler.
The whole thing fits snuggly into my brew fridge..
IMG_20240911_145501405~2.jpg

Showing the pipe connection to the bubbler outside the fridge..
IMG_20240911_145527076.jpg

The large opening provides plenty of access for cleaning etc. but also helped in the fitting of the dip tube and my magnetic float.
IMG_20240914_120138824.jpg

This shows the dip tube held clear of the fermenting brew (hopefully) held by an external magnet..
IMG_20240914_120144931.jpg

When this is removed the float drops so the brew can be transferred by connecting to the beer post on the front.
IMG_20240914_120200508.jpg

A "handy" bonus with the magnetic float is you can slide the dip tube down to take a sample and return it to it's raised position prior to cold crash, keeping it clear of dross/trub.
IMG_20240914_120214678.jpg

I've tested it with water and the plumbing seems to work fine. First proper test will be next brew day in a couple of weeks. ashock1

After five years or so of using a plastic lidded fermentation bucket and brewing highly hopped NEIPAs on a regular basis I decided to replace my old bucket fermenter with something a bit better. The new fermenter had to:
  1. Have an airtight lid
  2. Have a large opening to facilitate cleaning
  3. Have a lid large enough to be fitted with my trapdoor design of dry hopper with a 300g capacity
  4. Have a sufficiently large capacity to take a 5 gallon brew and leave adequate headspace to allow the dry hopper to stay clear of a rising krausen
  5. Be fitted with a dip tube with a magnetic float to allow the dip tube inlet to be held clear of the fermenting beer and only released when transferring or taking samples.
  6. Fit in a “standard” fridge.
I looked at the various off-the-shelf offerings but predictably couldn’t find anything. Only one thing for it. Make my own!

Found a 40 ltr cubic plastic storage keg, air and water tight with a gaping 282mm diameter opening that fits nicely into my brew fridge.
View attachment 103854

The flat sides allowed the fitting of a push-fit bulkhead fitting to connect a dip tube on the inside and a corny beer post on the outside for transferring the finished beer.

The large diameter lid has a concave surface so I had to design a new dry hopper to fit. Needed stronger magnets as the lid was seriously thick.

The finished item has more than a passing resemblance to the Star wars robot, R2D2 😂

View attachment 103855
This shows it strapped to a truck I used for my bucket fermenter. The black disc on top of the lid houses the magnets that keep the dry hopper trapdoors shut. A 90 degree twist to release.
View attachment 103856
This shows the underside of the lid with the dry hopper.
View attachment 103857
Trapdoors open. I used a JG bulkhead fitting in the lid centre to vent the gas to an external bubbler.
The whole thing fits snuggly into my brew fridge..
View attachment 103858
Showing the pipe connection to the bubbler outside the fridge..
View attachment 103859
The large opening provides plenty of access for cleaning etc. but also helped in the fitting of the dip tube and my magnetic float.
View attachment 103860
This shows the dip tube held clear of the fermenting brew (hopefully) held by an external magnet..
View attachment 103861
When this is removed the float drops so the brew can be transferred by connecting to the beer post on the front.
View attachment 103862
A "handy" bonus with the magnetic float is you can slide the dip tube down to take a sample and return it to it's raised position prior to cold crash, keeping it clear of dross/trub.
View attachment 103863
I've tested it with water and the plumbing seems to work fine. First proper test will be next brew day in a couple of weeks. ashock1
😂. Great job BB!

🤔 do you take commissions?
(Though in honesty, I don't think I have room for more brewing kit - but that's really impressive - well done!!!)

Where did you get the float from? and what's the diameter of it please.
Guess! 😂 I made it from polycarbonate sheet, a PTFE coated magnet, a ball from a King Keg pressure barrel float and a piece of stainless steel wire. Oh, and a stainless steel earring butterfly clip. It consists of 11 pieces (I think). I’ll post some pictures later.

Regarding the filter, I have considered it. However, I’ve found that keeping the dip tube out of the brew during fermentation helps. Also, if it works properly 🤞🏻the float gently settles on the trub (after cold crash) and the inlet is 6-7mm above the trub. I’ll see how successful (or not) this is after next brew day.

Last edited:
@Buffers brewery
I thought the picture was showing a perspex/ clear float.
I've been on the lookout for a smaller float for some of my fermenters.
Was thinking one of those plastic corks would do it, but they have been surpassed by screwtops.
I'll keep looking.

@Buffers brewery
I thought the picture was showing a perspex/ clear float.
I've been on the lookout for a smaller float for some of my fermenters.
Was thinking one of those plastic corks would do it, but they have been surpassed by screwtops.
I'll keep looking.
Why not a fishing bubble float. They come in various sizes

Latest posts

Back