Mango Chutney Barrel Plastics

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
Started posting in THIS thread but thought I was going to high jack it so have started a new one.

I managed to save a very nice mango chutney barrel from the skip a few months back andd so far it has not been used for much. My intention is to turn it into a boiler so I can start doing full extract boils then use it when I go AG. Having read up on it I want to make sure that the plastic the barrel is made from is either HDPE or PP.

Looking at my barrel there is not recyling symbol telling me what it is made from (a triangle made of 3 arrows with a number in the middle). Instead I have the symbol below:

B3410AE4-31F2-4D5A-909B-674FCFC9763D-2688-000003409BF2C3DA.jpg

Does anyone know what this means?

C7958A2A-E3BC-4FC6-81CE-8A36846E7CED-2688-000003408B03947C.jpg

This is the barrel I have if it makes a difference.

Never thought of that. Thanks, so it appears that there is nothin on the barrel that indicates what plastic it is made from then. As it used to contain mango chutney can I assume that it is made from PP or HDPE? or could that be a bad move?

Just to add my barrel is lined with a white plastic. I don't know how thick it is or which type of plastic it is either. What are everyone's thoughts on wither it is a good idea to use this as a boiler.

Any advice welcome :cheers:

I have sent an email to the producers of the barrels to try and get an answer as to what they are made out of. I will update the thread when i have more info :thumb:

FYI my mango barrel boiler has the same type of date marking and a makers name and number stamped on it, no other markings. i got it via http://www.smithsofthedean.co.uk/new%20barrels.html
sold as a foodsafe hdpe barrel and it had the liner removed and had been washed..

and its served very well.. the plastic is softer at high temps so it will settle on its bottom a bit so dont calibrate it or any sightglass til its done that :) and sit it on a nice flat surface and beware of possible tap sag if you use a heavy unbalanced tap/valve arrangement..

7936443660_f7d120ca36.jpg

boiling wort down last brewday

Thanks for that Fil. I had a look at my barrel last night and do not believe it is lined. It seems the inside white plastic and outside blue plastic are molded together. I think it will be fine.

I am assuming that a) it has already stored foods so should be fine for brewing and b) if it is not food safe then i will taste it in boiled water.

I think it will be fine, its just the question of the plastic possibly sagging. You could always try it outside filled completely with boiling water...but I'm guessing you will have no problems with it.

Latest posts

Back