Making Port

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
Hi I do know how this is made but to do so can be slightly illegal. In the making of it half way through the process a large amount of alcohol (probably from a still) is added. This suffocates the yeast and the remaining sugar is left.

If a large amount of sugar is added to start with this would achieve the same result.

Has anyone plaid with this idea of making port?

Some of us make a strong wine, use about 6lb of fruit per gallon for intense fruitiness, It's close to port for sure. You can also use shop bought spirits to good effect if you want to fortify it. Just add sugar with a high tolerance yeast and ferment to 16-20% - kill the yeast with potassium sorb ate and campden, then sweeten with sugar.

It doesn't have to be illegal you can buy brandy or vodka in a shop.

Please refrain from mentioning home distillation on this forum it is not tolerated and threads likely to be locked.

With regards to your question. I always make elderberry and damson port to a high gravity ferment using a port yeast and then as Rob says stabalise and back sweeten with demererra sugar then leave it for 3-4 yrs or more if you have the patience. :thumb:

So I have two wines which are destined to be ports...

One WGJ and pineapple that just wouldn't go to dry (after 4 different yeasts!!)
One Elderberry, Damson and Bramble (which is actually sensational as it is, I might do a couple of bottles of port and the rest for the table)

I'm thinking a brandy for the WOW as it's a bit lacking and the flavour would help, but what for the Elder?? Should I keep it neutral and go Vodka or does anyone have a suggestion for a complimentary flavour?

I tend not to add anything as long as it fermented out and it is 16-17% just add demerara sugar. :thumb:

I don't think I achieved quite the alcoholic content. Somewhere around 14% I think. From that I'm taking a "keep it neutral" message...

Probably be a good idea.

However you could do a sampling session one saturday afternoon and test the benefits of various blends and spirits :whistle: :whistle:

Hi sorry for using a certain terminology but I have read the process of how port is made in Portugal. I tend to use wine kits and my favorite is California connoisseur Cabernet Sauvignon. Now if I could develop that into a port that would be great. Maybe only 1 of the 5 gallons in a gallon jar.

Any suggestions on this idea

:)

PS

From websites

Port is a fortified wine. Fortification involves adding a small amount of wine grape spirit, at some point in the wine making process.

As the fermenting wine pours into the vat, a very clean young wine brandy is added to it.

But how much for a gallon and what ABV should I use?

I made/am making a dj of port from a Beaverdale merlot kit. I fermented it out, put 1 litre of cheap brandy, 500g of sugar and some oak chips in a dj and filled it with wine. It has been tucked away in the loft for 3 years. I have sampled it a couple of times and added some more sugar. I think I may bottle it this Christmas, have one bottle and put the rest away for a few more years.

otuatail said:
Hi sorry for using a certain terminology but I have read the process of how port is made in Portugal.

No problem we have to give a warning just as much to others as your self. Certain things said in all innocence can lead to a discussion about things that we cannot talk about and the thread getting closed. :thumb: :thumb:

Latest posts

Back