Liquorice stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToTheBrew

Reaction score
Hi,

Its been a while since Ive posted, and I've had some relative success since my first brew, which was a little on the yeasty side, but was drinkable. My latest brew was a Golden Ale and its just about ready and the initial taste and aroma is good, so we'll see how it pans out.

ANYWAY, my question is has anyone ever done a liquorice flavored stout and if so, can you give me any pointers?

My plan is to use a home brew stout kit, mix it all up and add some sort of liquorice, either candied OR raw, to the mix while it is fermenting... Is this too simple and is there anything I could do to ensure good flavor result?

Cheers

Just read a recipe where someone chucked in a stick of pure liquorice at the beginning just before adding the yeast..i am not shure though how much you would need to use as he was combining this with chocolate .lots of liquorice on ebay in various ammounts..

alank950 said:
Just read a recipe where someone chucked in a stick of pure liquorice at the beginning just before adding the yeast..i am not shure though how much you would need to use as he was combining this with chocolate .lots of liquorice on ebay in various ammounts..

Would have thought it would be best dissolved first or it will either float or sink and not give homogeneous mix?

I've used liquorice in a stout kit before. The recipe suggested using it for better head retention which the finished product definitely had. There was a very slight liquorice aroma but I wouldn't say any liquorice taste. I used 10 grams in about 500mls of boiling water for 10 mins before adding to the wort then pitched the yeast once the wort had cooled sufficiently. :drink:

Erl :cheers:

Yeti said:
alank950 said:

Would have thought it would be best dissolved first or it will either float or sink and not give homogeneous mix?

Yea i think also it would be best to add it to the syrup melting it down first. :thumb:

My LHBS suggested about a 1" chunk , cut off a stick of liquorice.
I brewed an Edme kit (didn't use the liquorice), but added a full can (454g) of Lyles black treacle. Turned out a superb pint.
:drink: :drink: :drink:

Back