Lid on or off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewery21

Reaction score
One question is (whilst boiling) commercial plants have enclosed boil kettles with vented/extraction systems on the top lid, where as home brew it seems to be lid off loads of steam filling up the room. I no the condensation is an issue running back in to the wort on enclosed sustems but I've seen the various ways to get round that with collectors of some sort. But what are you guys doing lid on/off/extraction. Cheers

If the boil off goes back into the wort, DMS will build up. I mostly leave my lid off but sometimes I leave it half on, forcing the steam in one direction. I have a spare lid and was thinking I would cut a ten centimeter hole in the top and attach a vent hose to it. But that's for later. Not too worried about it right now.

Lid on
Custom made marine ply lid varnished with yacht varnish then cut in 3/4 and 1/4 pieces with 3 32mm holes cut into the bigger section then standard white pvc drain pipe fittings (3 90 degree elbows and just straight lenghths ) this is fed thru a wall on a slope so the condestation can drain out.
Absolutely zero issues with drip back or veg flavours
Local micro uses similar but with a soil drain pipe and one hole and a water jet to minimise the smell in the out pipe but soil pipe fittings cost more than 32 mm pipe

If it's just a lid (full cover) then leave it off or make yourself a hood with a vent pipe

005.JPG

Wow foxy that's exactly what I need on my ace system. Used to use boil pot under the cooker hood but obviously the ace can't sit up on worktop now so. Where did you get that from. Or did you make it. And sbond's set up sounds pretty cool too

Great idea but my new boil kettle is large. Don't think they have a bowl that size. Haha
I like that pipe idea. I might build something like that but with large pipe.

You can get bigger pot JB OR even a wok, I have a bigger one on my BM

I've never seen a size that big. My boiler takes all 4 hobs. Haha. I have two, one I think is about 100 liters. My second is 170 liters. They're BIG.
But that second one is going to be converted to a FV.

Latest posts

Back