Lallemand Belle Saison yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeBusby

Reaction score
I have just made a Belgian saison using Lallemand’s Belle Saison yeast. I fermented at 28C rising to 31C. I am now bottling. Is it going to be OK with the bottle fermentation happening at about 20C do you think? Do I need to give it more than my standard week before putting the bottles in a cooler place?

I would think it's fine doing the bottle conditioning at 20. That's what I normally do, but don't ferment as high as 30 in the primary though

Jumping on this thread...
I made my first brew with Lallemand Belle Saison yeast. It finished fermenting couple of days ago, at the moment it is ok, but super hazy. Not surpirsing considering it is known as a low flocculating yeast...

Anyone tryed to cold crash before bottling? 3 days at 2-3C should clear up the beer?

I would. You need to get a lot of that cleared before bottling.

Low flocculation often means not only did it not clear, but it doesn't stick to the bottom of the bottle well.

I have inoculated so4 into the bottle to clean up and carbonate. Worked like a charm.

I would. You need to get a lot of that cleared before bottling.

Low flocculation often means not only did it not clear, but it doesn't stick to the bottom of the bottle well.

I have inoculated so4 into the bottle to clean up and carbonate. Worked like a charm.
Do you have specific experience with cold crash of Belle Saison yeast?
I am wondering if 3 days are enough.
(Anyhow I will take a sample after 3 days and check how hazy it is)

Be aware that Belle Saison is a diastaticus variety and you need to be sure that t really has finished fermenting before you bottle it up. Expect a final gravity (FG) closely approaching 1000. It won't clear until it has finished.
My only experience with saison yeast is Dupont so I can't comment specifically n BS.

Be aware that Belle Saison is a diastaticus variety and you need to be sure that t really has finished fermenting before you bottle it up. Expect a final gravity (FG) closely approaching 1000. It won't clear until it has finished.
My only experience with saison yeast is Dupont so I can't comment specifically n BS.
Yup. Yeast with added beano's 😂

Oi 😁 Don't laugh.
I am sure I recall it being v.similar. Yeast making glucoamylase instead factory made
a.galactosidase (I think) which both have a cleaving effect. (maybe).

Hmm. Might nip off and fact check this.

My only experience with saison yeast is Dupont so I can't comment specifically n BS
I knew that but thanks for reminding...
Today I re-tested the gravity after 3 days and it stayed at 1002, so I consider the fermentation finished an I moved the fermenter in the fridge to cold crash.
Also, the sample I took today was much more clear than the one I took 3 days ago. I believe the cold crash will help further

I have used this yeast maybe a dozen times and it's always cloudy until it's totally finished and then drops crystal clear very quickly.
I tend to just give it 7 days post finishing before bottling and it's always super clear. It might ferment quickly, but it's still not a 'fast turnaround' brew.

Personally I'd not bother with a cold crash and just put it out of sight and out of mind for a week then bottle it. Same for carb'ing, put it away for 2 weeks and then come back to it and it'll be a delight

Oi 😁 Don't laugh.
I am sure I recall it being v.similar. Yeast making glucoamylase instead factory made
a.galactosidase (I think) which both have a cleaving effect. (maybe).

Hmm. Might nip off and fact check this.
Interesting @MashBag , are there really enzymes present in some yeasts that will reduce lactose to glucose and galactose? beta-galactosidase is the one in question. Not much good tryng to make milk stout, then, with these buggers around!
What will poor Minnie Caldwell do now!

Lallemand reviews rate it 🤣🤣🤣 20240804_195718.jpg

Back