Keg hopping

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you add the hops to the keg without any bags

I got my Flot-it on Amazon. It does indeed come from the USA. Hops into the keg after keg purged (quickly open the keg and chuck in). I purge my kegs with CO2 from fermentation, so can't put the hops in prior to the purge. Transfer beer on top (no bag).

I can't say I've noticed a massive difference Vs using a big nylon hop bag, but it's a pretty cool system.

Like I say, I've read of people using cask widges in the same way.

https://caskwidge.com/Parts/Product/17

I would recommend a floating dip tube with a mesh filter over a caskwidge, unless you want to leave a pint of beer at the bottom of your keg. They are not designed for corny kegs.

Yeah, they just don't sit flush on the bottom of the keg. I tried keg hopping once but the beer was incredibly murky. I used pellets in a muslin bag. Perhaps that was the problem.

I have keg hopped a few times now using the mesh dry hop cylinders.

I do have to use gelatine though. I put the dry hop in when I keg, leave it in the fridge for a few days to chill and for the dry hop to do its magic, and then hit with gelatine, otherwise it poured like pea soup.

Yeah, they just don't sit flush on the bottom of the keg. I tried keg hopping once but the beer was incredibly murky. I used pellets in a muslin bag. Perhaps that was the problem.

Does it need to sit flush though? If you're keg-hopping, you're not going to be emptying the keg anyway.

_20180226_132021_1602340575589.JPG

I don't keg hop often, but this works every time. 300 micron hop filter with a hole drilled for the dip tube, which has a 45 degree cut to the end of it so as not to sit flush with the bottom of the filter. The pellet hops go in the keg and sit on the bottom after cooling. Giving them more contact room than filling the hop filter.

Cold Extract Coffee Filter Bags either 10x15cm or 15x25cm depending on hop amount. Good old Temu. 100 for about £1-3 depending on how many thousands of offers they send you via WhatsApp, popups, email etc!

View attachment 102626

I don't keg hop often, but this works every time. 300 micron hop filter with a hole drilled for the dip tube, which has a 45 degree cut to the end of it so as not to sit flush with the bottom of the filter. The pellet hops go in the keg and sit on the bottom after cooling. Giving them more contact room than filling the hop filter.

That's pretty much the Scott Janish method. Looks great.

Back