Is this a suitable probe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it for heating my strike water as well as boiling, it has a higher power element than my HLT. So it gets connected to my STC1000 for temp control.

These are the probes I use and have had no problems with them. you might want to give some thought as to how you will put them in you boiler/HLT as the probes is not waterproof and liquid will slowly leak out of the spring bit.

This is how I use mine in my HERMS setup

2013-04-17192927_zps8234f815.jpg

the construction is probe, 8mm to 15mm compression fitting then 15mm pipe. if you putting it in to you boiler you would then use a 15mm tank connector. I also filled the inside of the reducer with food grade silicon.

hope that helps :cheers:

Thanks for that , so you say that the probe isn't water proof, is the end not sealed? I am workng on the theory of a silicon washer on the inside of the hole and the nut on the o/s. Don't want water/wort all over the floor.

thats a type K thermocouple, accurate to +/- 1C with a compatible device iirc, i dont know if it will work with a stc1000 i think they use a different type of probe i think its NTC??

ive used similar pt100 probes and they were not sealed and leaked when attached with a locknut thru the pot wall. Also the metal with the 'connecting thread' isnt SS and will rust if left in contact with liquid.. So a thermowell or pocket may also be expedient. you can make one from recucing sizes if copper tube down to 10 or 8mm from 15mm and a standard tank connector..

yes I use mine with a PID controller.

Where the body of the prob mets the screw thread there is a gap that liquid will leak from.

Back