iPace

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think that applies to all cars these days. If you dig deep enough pretty much all brands haver their own reliability issues, or certainly have from time to tim

I would venture you have never owned a disco.

I agree with you in principle. But the exception to the rule is LR. Owned for 14 years. Not one ever made it from one service to the next, without going to visit its mates at the dealers. Sometimes for days.

I joked with my wife after having the toyota a while that I was going to have to wash this one... Something I had not needed to do all the time I had disco's (5) because it got so many with its frequent flyer points 🤣

It’s a shame pretty much everything in life seems to be joining the race to the bottom.

It just reinforces my temptation to keep my car for as long as I can or as long as they’ll let me!
Don't know about that...modern cars are in many ways amazing things and an absolute testament to the ingenuity of humans and our ability to develop technology and make it cheaper for the masses. By and large they are ultra reliable (the internet makes them appear to be less reliable, but you see far fewer cars broken down at the side of the road these days despite there being many millions more of them)...they are alot safer than ever before and despite a massive growth in size and weight, very efficient with very low emissions. They're now packed with gadgets and tech from standard that was only available on super high end luxury models not so long ago, and a bog standard family saloon now packs enough performance to give a '70's or '80's supercar a good spanking. Of course the exception might be Land Rovers wink...

The downsides to all that are they are alot more expensive (but the wonders of our failing economies in the west and devaluation of our money, low interest rates have compensated nicely for that), packed with alot of environmental tech that is basically driving in alot of the complexity and ultimately unreliability and, I'd argue, not quite as exciting to drive despite their better performance...they're too good and too fast to have fun in, at legal speeds at least - not that the government things that you should be allowed to enjoy driving or have fun in a car...:rolleyes:

But I do find myself harking back to older cars..I love '80's and early '90's era cars and these days with aftermarket mods you can fix alot of the problems they had back in the '80's. The problem is everyone has the same idea and the price of used cars is rocketing. Try picking up a nice '80's classic hot hatch or something a bit more exotic like a Porsche 911 and you're looking at silly money.

If you want peace of mind buy a KIA 7 year or 100,000 miles warranty.
I joked with my wife after having the toyota a while that I was going to have to wash this one... Something I had not needed to do all the time I had disco's (5) because it got so many with its frequent flyer points 🤣
:D

It’s a shame pretty much everything in life seems to be joining the race to the bottom.

It just reinforces my temptation to keep my car for as long as I can or as long as they’ll let me!

Well this is it for us…I have just sold my weekend toy, and A45 and we are left with 2 aging high mileage 14 year old VWs (Scirroco and Caddy) both mint and ultra reliable as I’m anal about looking after the fleet and they are serviced above and beyond the schedule.

So why are we shopping about? Sometimes you just get an itch, maybe it will pass.

Latest posts

Back