Honey bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Beerbelly

Reaction score
Hello fellas, I just put an Edme superbrew bitter in the fermenter with a jar of honey. I'm hoping for a ready in x3 weeks job to see me into the New Year. Has anyone out there done a similar mix and how did it turn out. I've had a taste and it is very sweet with a bitter after taste, will the sweetness drop during fermentation do you think? The Christmas stout that I made up with the tin of treacle and mixed Schartz spices came out with a lovely head, thick and very Christmassy, shhhhhhhhhhhhh its doing well as presents for family and friends LOL. :drink: Cheers, good times to come :cheers:

Mr.Beerbelly said:
will the sweetness drop during fermentation do you think?

Er, yes!
Fermentation is yeast converting the sugar into alcohol!

On the other hand, did you add the sugar which the kit suggested, then add additional honey?
If this is the case, it will still ferment out, just produce a stronger beer and maybe take longer.

Did you take a gravity reading at the beginning?

I added a jar of honey to my strawberry stout I did, neither flavour came through really.

I've added a jar to my Yuletide brew I'm doing, as well as a couple of pinches of mixed spice to the end of the boil.

That's still brewing, so it remains to be seen if any of these flavours come through this time.

Maybe I didn't use enough (3 punnets of strawberries, 1 jar of honey), or maybe stout just overpowers any such added goodies.

Back