Homemade budget ventilation system?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
I own a powerful induction heater, that i want to use for brewing larger batches.
The problem is, i live in an old house, and i cannot plug this thing into every power outlet in the house. The spots i have to chose from is really awkward, and with no ventilation what so ever.

I don't tend to stay here forever, so i don't want to pay an electrician to put up a new outlet just for brewing.

Needles to say, i want to do this on a really small budget, so i came up with this:

ventyk.jpg

Basically, I'm thinking about putting some rubber around the edges of the lid, to make a tight seal, then lock it in place with a strap. Somewhere on top of the lid, there would be a hole, where i place a hose nipple. A regular diameter silicone hose would be connected to it, and the hose would lead out the window.

Would this work...? or will it just build up lots of pressure?

lot of scalding steam will be coming out of that nipple !

Might also result on very hot water (as the steam condenses) coming out of the hose onto whatever is below the window.

Not much bellow the window. Just grass, and i don't mind if the grass gets hot : )

How far is this hose going to have to reach? I imagine that if there are kinks or dips water will collect there and block the flow of the steam in which case there could quite easily be an increase in pressure.

I don't know what would happen to the wort if its boiled with some back pressure. AFAIK pressure cookers increase the heat so I would imagine something similar might happen.

However, I suspect that the steam would escape around the edge of the lid more than out of the hose or the lid might burst off at some point.

If I was going to do a ventilation system I would have an inline fan, at the window, connected to some 100mm duct pipe attached to some kind of cone sat on the stock pot. Not cheap but more likely to work IMO.

Ok pressure wise it should be ok. but you'll get alot of DMS back in your brew, giving off vegetable flavours. you'll need a much lager bore pipe to remove the dms.

evanvine said:
Just carry on with what you're doing Ruk, ignore these scare mongers!
Pressure cannot build up with your heat source +1/2" vent, and the drips will not come out scalding (latent heat of vaporisation).

Its worth a try I guess, one thing is for sure it won't go Bang I just suspect that it won't work quite as intended. Evanine is right that I don't know the temperature of steam exiting the hose its pure guess work. I do think though that as a standard brew evaporates several litres I would want to have the hose straight and have the pot above the height of the window so that any condensed water runs out not back. I trust that there is sufficient volume that you are sure there won't be boil overs?

If you do, do this would you please video it and post the results please. :cheers:

A word of caution, please be careful. If your seal is good and the lid securely fixed, a kink in the hose will give you potential for disaster.

A manufacturer of all-grain brewing equipment sells onion-shaped copper hoods/lids with a fairly large opening as an optional extra for their brew kettles, claiming they help achieve a more vigorous boil. A suitably sized duct (rather than silicone hose) attached to something akin to this might be the solution and give the added benefit of a more vigorous boil. Just a thought...

Dennis

My +1, right idea you just need wider, 100mm duct is the way to go like the folks say.

DrinkTillIDie said:
but you'll get alot of DMS back in your brew, giving off vegetable flavours

The amount of DMS will depend on the malts used. There has been a discussion recently about boiling with the lid on and I remember Aleman posting to the effect that DMS will not be a problem. Have a search for it.

Thanks for the feedbacks, and keep them coming!

Forgot to mention, if anyone has any better idea on how to solve my problem, feel fre to post it. The tube idea was just the easiest solution i could come up with.

Its a 3500W 16amp induction top, so I don't want to put an extension cord on it, if i dont have to. If the connection overheats, im in big trouble :electric: (finally i got to use the new smiley!!)

I've been thinking about this for once my new utility room gets units fitted on friday

I was looking at 100mm stainless exhaust pipe like this stuff. My plan was to find a custom exhaust place locally and see if they'll bend me a short length of offcut stainless pipe to incorporate a slight U-bed where I can drill a hole for condensation to drip out.

Then I was going to use this type of ducting to minimise cooling and condensation in the ducting.

how much more vigorous is the boil with a vented lid on? I was wanting to do this when I start brewing in the shed but don't know if it may cause boilovers having 29l at start of the boil with a boiler that only holds 33l to the top.

very vigorous, with that set up the minute you take your eyes of it, it will be out and away....... :D

Ill stick with the alternative idea using a fan to blow as much steam as possible out the door.

now the half decent weather is upon us can you arrange your boil to take place outside ?

Latest posts

Back