Homebrew Dog Comeptition

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought there would be thousands of enteries. Everyone is in with a chance at only 260. Wish I had made an effort now.

I thought the same. I didn't bother as I thought there would've been thousands of entries. I hope they do something similar next year.

the above was echoed on the Q&A section of the web page itself .....a fella asked about 500ml and the answer from one of the BrewDog pair was a firm no, they won't be accepted

Yeah that's what I saw too, but by that point the closing date had passed and the T&C's were no longer available. I'm 80% certain I saw something about 500ml's being ok however... I was sending this, the Waitrose Comp and the National Homebrew Comp entries over the same weekend so it's quite possible I've merged all the rules together!
Bit annoying really... that's 3 bottles of my Smoked Chipotle Porter gone to waste!

DA

Me too. Although I'm fairly new to it so also though and extra year would give me time to hone my skills.

Hopefully next year will be a rerun. 😁

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No idea if it means anything.....other than I can do a nice label but that's my beer
on the left.
1475767901HomeBrewDogUpdate_1.LEAD.jpg
and 2nd from the right
HomeBrewDogUpdate_3.jpg

still no news?.....

I understand the judges are recovering from my entry :lol: at over 10% it shouldn't have been rushed :grin:

I entered it in the vain hope that it would be awesome to see such a strong beer in Tesco's. stronger than special brew and white lightning cider that is... They'd probably have put it in the wines and spirits section :rofl:

They posted on their twitter feed at the beginning of last week that there had been some internal delay and that there would be an update "within the next week or so".

This would suggest that, as it hasn't happened yet, the update will be this week (hopefully).

I have a suspicion that the winner will have already been informed by now though.

Done a quick search and came across this comment on the last BrewDog blog post about the competition:

BrewDog Rich3rd November, 2016 12:36pm
For the benefit of Smokey123 and everyone else who entered - we have selected a winner, the final round of judging had some extremely good beers - so once we have let the lucky victor know we will put together a blog post about their entry and why it came out on top!

https://www.brewdog.com/lowdown/blog/homebrewdog-update

Shame they didn't make this a little more widely known at the time. Will be interesting to hear about the winning brew though!

More like copying/nicking the recipe and flogging it as a 'brewdog beer' for lots of money

Sadly that's why I wouldn't enter a competition with those guys. There is a good reason why they have been successful through ruthless business practises and shameless acts to grow their business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sadly that's why I wouldn't enter a competition with those guys. There is a good reason why they have been successful through ruthless business practises and shameless acts to grow their business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? I'm pretty sure they're doing ok without needing someone's homebrew recipe.

They gave away all of the recipes to their own beer after all.

It was always stated in the competition entry that they would be brewing the winning beer, isn't that how all these brewery competitions work?

Really? I'm pretty sure they're doing ok without needing someone's homebrew recipe.

They gave away all of the recipes to their own beer after all.

It was always stated in the competition entry that they would be brewing the winning beer, isn't that how all these brewery competitions work?

Some brewery competitions work that way, like this one and the Thornbridge/Waitrose one, but most aren't hosted by a brewer so a different "prize" is at the end of it.

I can understand why homebrewers would boycott this and similar competitions, I don't think I'd enter the Thornbridge one, because it's taking your creative work and making a lot of money on it which they keep for themselves. The difference is Brewdog are offering the winner a job which make it a bit more ethical.

The way I feel with Thornbridge though is they take your recipe, give you £250 and a tour around the brewery. It sounds like a terrible deal considering they are gonna make a lot of money on it and not do a great deal of operational work. It's a bit like entering a song into a battle of the bands competition or something, the winner gets their song recorded and released by Queens of the Stone Age. You get £250 for the effort, you get to see the band record the song in the studio, and you get to see it go on sale in iTunes, record stores, Spotify etc. QOTSA get the rights to the song so you make no money other than £250 whilst the band line their pockets with your creative output.

It's not very fair.

Back