Home brew Newbie - My First Setup Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osheac10

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I’ve been researching home brewing for a month now and I feel ready to start considering to buy a setup. I want a lot of planning beforehand as it seems a very complex hobby. I have a few questions so I hope there will be plenty to talk about.

The first question is do I go and start with a EBIAB setup or get 3 vessel system? Seems like both can produce amazing beers but I just don’t know where to start. The setup will most likely be in my cellar; it isn’t a very clean place but I hope I’ll be able to change that. I‘d love to have an actual beer station where it can be all stored and remain there. I’ve been seeing all these setups on YouTube and they look great but I don’t know if it will cost too much to be able to get that kind of setup.

The second question is, what can certain budgets get me? Initially I was thinking of getting an all in one system for roughly £600 but I am considering a setup for £2000. Will a bigger budget help? Should I look for a package setup that includes everything?

The final question that I have is, can I learn to make a solid ale straight away or will it take years before I am able to produce a drinkable beer? I do worry that it‘s something that can only be achieved by experts or commercial brewers.

I would just like to say thanks for taking the time to read through this thread and I look forward to reading through all the posts on this forum and hopefully your responses. :)

Thanks

This is only my advice before ditching between £600-£2000 in a hobby I would do the basics for a few brews and start with a couple of good kits of which there are plenty. This would also get you used to a good clean and sanitisation regime (probably the most important part of the hobby)and also understanding the basic process of fermentation and packaging the finished product.
If you want to ditch in do so but the basics will help you tremendously in knowing whether the hobby will suit you before spending hard earned money.
Good luck in whatever you do athumb..

Thanks for the reply! Do you have a recommended kit that you have used or know is great and all I need. Thanks

I’m assuming beer style. I think I’d like to start with an Ale, I love pale ales, amber ales, IPA, NEIPA. If not then a light lager, pilsner.

Go to the forum toggle and it will show different sectors of the forum with the Kit Brewing Discussion one. In there have a skim through and the threads and you will get a good idea of what to select.
I would go for 2 can kits which are generally at the premium end, Youngs always get a good write as do Mangrove Jacks.
A lot of people cut their teeth on Woodfordes Wherry which is available at the Wilko stores as a Ale/Bitter I have done this myself a couple of times and have been pleased with the results

Hi @Osheac10 and welcome to the forum. As @the baron has mentioned above a starter kit like this is good to get you going so you can grasp the basics before spending your hard earned cash on a load of shiny stuff. All you will need is bottles, caps and a capper and glass preferably available from your local as they are charged to get rid of their empties.
A very Irish forum name too BTW.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I’ll have to try the Festival Razorback IPA, I heard they’re harder to do or is that not the case? Do either of you know equipment setup Packages?

Do I need anything else with this:

1 x 30Ltr Fermenter with fitted tap and airlock

1 x 30 Ltr Fermenter with Bottling tap, bottling stick and airlock fitted

1m of Silicone tube for transferring between Fermenters

Triple Scale Hydrometer with 26cm Plastic Trial Jar

Hand Crown Capper

200 Bottle Caps

Thanks

Hi i started off just over 2 years ago doing kits, plastic fv's pressure barrels and bottles learning the ropes, then i bought a klarstein 30L biab kettle and went all grain, i now have a brewzilla 35L all in one a fridge corny kegs and gas, you don't need to be an expert to make good ale just keep things clean and sanitized, during all this i had in the back of my mind the best gear will not make you better beer, just take your time and learn and ask questions no matter how daft you think they are, happy brewing :beer1:

Hi i started off just over 2 years ago doing kits, plastic fv's pressure barrels and bottles learning the ropes, then i bought a klarstein 30L biab kettle and went all grain, i now have a brewzilla 35L all in one a fridge corny kegs and gas, you don't need to be an expert to make good ale just keep things clean and sanitized, during all this i had in the back of my mind the best gear will not make you better beer, just take your time and learn and ask questions no matter how daft you think they are, happy brewing :beer1:

Thanks for the advice. I worry going and spending £300 and not having the right setup. I’ve attempted with my friend to make beer but it taste like vinegar but I know he didn’t follow any proper guides and wasn’t proper sanitation etc.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I’ll have to try the Festival Razorback IPA, I heard they’re harder to do or is that not the case? Do either of you know equipment setup Packages?

Do I need anything else with this:

1 x 30Ltr Fermenter with fitted tap and airlock

1 x 30 Ltr Fermenter with Bottling tap, bottling stick and airlock fitted

1m of Silicone tube for transferring between Fermenters

Triple Scale Hydrometer with 26cm Plastic Trial Jar

Hand Crown Capper

200 Bottle Caps

Thanks
You can manage with 1 Fermenter if you want (I do not use a secondary FV as do many) you will need a piece of at least 2 meter long if not a little longer if possible syphon tube and a bottling wand would handy too.
Let us know how you go on

you could get most from your local Wilko like FV, Hydrometer, syphon etc or a local Homebrew shop.
Apart from that a google search will give plenty of web sites to look for your kits and equipment

you could get most from your local Wilko like FV, Hydrometer, syphon etc or a local Homebrew shop.
Apart from that a google search will give plenty of web sites to look for your kits and equipment

Appreciate the help

I've done 77 all grain brews using a £60 tea urn and an old muslin bag for my grain as a single vessel biab and second hand fermentation buckets.
Don't be fooled by the all in one systems, whilst I am sure there are many many many advantages - recirculation pumps, sparge arms and all that gizmo - the essential essence of brewing beer is still the same.
Grain in hot water, then remove grain, boil it with some hops and add yeast when cooled.
All these fancy 'features' might save you 500gm of grain in increased efficiency, or mean you can sit on your backside whilst it mashes and boils all on its own via some program...but essentially it's still the same process. Don't believe a simple setup can't give you stellar beer. I would say the majority of my 77 brews have been as good as or better than what you would buy in a pub. Maybe not competition winners, but definitely a step up from the ghost ship you get from asda!!!

"The joy of brewing is the doing"
[forum T-shirt right there]

Hi, as always some great advice here for you. I would only add - check out eBay/gumtree to see if anyone is selling some kit near by, an excellent way to get cheap and sometimes seldom used items. Also, I found one of the best improvements I made to my beer was to treat my tap water with a campden tablet the day before brewing. There are threads on this you can find on here, as well as the very informative thread on doing a simple AG brew when you are feeling confident. Good luck and happy brewing 🍻🍻

I've done 77 all grain brews using a £60 tea urn and an old muslin bag for my grain as a single vessel biab and second hand fermentation buckets.
Don't be fooled by the all in one systems, whilst I am sure there are many many many advantages - recirculation pumps, sparge arms and all that gizmo - the essential essence of brewing beer is still the same.
Grain in hot water, then remove grain, boil it with some hops and add yeast when cooled.
All these fancy 'features' might save you 500gm of grain in increased efficiency, or mean you can sit on your backside whilst it mashes and boils all on its own via some program...but essentially it's still the same process. Don't believe a simple setup can't give you stellar beer. I would say the majority of my 77 brews have been as good as or better than what you would buy in a pub. Maybe not competition winners, but definitely a step up from the ghost ship you get from asda!!!

"The joy of brewing is the doing"
[forum T-shirt right there]

I really appreciate this post! Made me laugh about the ghost ship from asda as that’s where I’d get most beers from. I think your right about enjoying the grind of it all. I wanna give it a go and maybe after the first 10 brews or something I might invest in things that make the whole thing easier. I do worry about how to maintain temps but I guess thats where I’ll learn. I’ve heard kegging will save a lot of aggravation but please if anyone thinks that’s not true let me know. I’m not in a rush so will make sure I’ve got everything sorted before I take the plunge.

Back