Half-empty barrel gone flat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty27

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm half-way through drinking my very first brew (Wherry bitter) - turned out very nice btw - but I'm a bit concerned that now my barrel is half empty, the beer inside it will go flat (as there'll be space for the CO2 to escape into)... Is this the case?

I'm using the Woodfordes microbrewery so I do have a CO2 gas bulb, but I don't really want to use it now if it's already too late & if I've already allowed the beer to decarbonate. Also I was under the impression these bulbs were to aid in tap pressure, rather than to actually stop the drink losing fizz?

My pint yesterday was fairly bubbly but tonight it's looking decidedly flat. Any advice?

I have a couple of plastic kegs that take the bulbs. It takes quite a few to keep the pressure up and retain fizz. Maybe someone knows better but I believe its just an inherent problem with that system. I wish I could afford a cornie or five :(

Damn, quite a few? That sucks - more expense each time.

Just to clarify then, if I whack on the CO2 bulb now will it miraculously re-carbonate my beer, or am I stuck with 15 flat pints?

(I think I know the answer to this already... :| Bottles next time!)

If you have primed your keg enough and have no leaks you should be able to get about two thirds through the keg with no problems and not needing to add any gas.

When I was using the little bulbs I used to find that I would need about 2 bulbs per keg to keep the beer carbonated.

S30 cylinders are better value in the long run, they last much longer.

To swap over from sparklets to the S30 you would need to buy the cylinder which is around £20 and £4-5 for the refills thereafter and a new valve to take the S30 which are around a tenner so you are talking £30 to swap over. I have done 7 brews up to now and the cylinder is still going strong, bit hard to tell how much is left in it but it seems like there is life in it. A box of 10 sparklets is about a fiver I think, I've never used them so I'm not sure how many you use but if you say two per brew then thats a pound a brew.

If I was you I would stay with what you have for now as you have probably already got a few sparklets to use up and when you come to buy a new keg, buy one with the S30 valve already on it and upgrade your other keg at the same time. The S30 does work out cheaper if you start out with it but when you factor in the outlay for the new valve and bottle when you have already paid for the sparklet valve and the sparklets, the overall savings aren't that much better.

If you put another sparklet in now, you will need to give the beer time to absorb the co2 but yes it will re carbonate.

maybe my carbonation is rubbish. i can get through about half a keg then its flat. and i seem to use about 4 sparkletts per brew. think ill look into s30 also. cheers

why not transfer the remainder to bottles? Take a bit of the beer out, dissolve some sugar in it (half a teaspoon per pint), boil, pour back into cask, transfer to bottles, wait 2.5 weeks, fizzy beer!!

hi, depends how quick you drink the beer,it will recharge if you only drink a pint or two a day. you can add a touch more sugar initially into keg if you have got a good valve.
or swop to a s30 valve and a big h/bard s30 gas bottle, which should last 5 to 7 brews.
paul
keg9 homebrews
wellingborough

Back