getting my kit and equipment today

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey1967

Reaction score
hi all
I am collecting my first brew kit today I am quite lucky that I managed to get bulk lot of equipment that someone who no longer requires it from gumtree.
the material listed in add is "home brewing equipment, consists of 8 demijohns, airlocks,corks and bottle caps, wine makers hydrometer, lots of tubs yeast and wine making stuff, bucket and syphon tube, empty bottles, large bin with lid for the beer making, enough stuff to get you going"
but a lot of other things in pics that aint listed and all for £25 I will be giving it all long soaks in bleach then rinsing with vwp as its used and prob been in a garage. I also looked at google maps and brew shop 20min from my house so anything else I can get.
I fancy making cider (kit) and a "rose type" wine but seen one on a post on here that was from fruit juice bellow and was wondering is this too difficult for a novice like me like I said seen this on a thred sorry did not see who posted it but sounds great. or could I get white wine kit and add other juice to make it my own
1L Tesco Apple & Raspberry Juice (from 1.5L carton)
1L Mango Apple Juice (from 1.5L carton)
1L Red Grape Juice
1L White Grape juice
500g sugar dissolved in warm water
1 cup strong cold black tea
1tsp pectolase
1/2 tsp glycerine
1tsp yeast nutrient
1tsp wine yeast

Put ingredients into DJ, pitch yeast & ferment out

S.G 1.086
F.G 0.993
12.6%

any tips or advice welcome :cheers:

looks goods. is the apple and raspberry 1.5l juice or a juice drink as it might have sweeteners in so you wont get a dry wow

its a juice shop bought like Tesco or similar I was under the impression to get only 100% fruit juice or from concentrate so as its natural sugars only.
also with this how long would I leave it in first stage before moving to second dj is it until yeast has stopped reacting I have a little do at the start of June and unsure if I have a hope in hell getting a bottle or two for this. a lot of mixed signals from leaving in bottles for 6months to some saying can drink on day of bottling any advice on this would be welcome
i will be leaving In 10 to collect it all material and equipment and very excited found the perfect hobby that I can fit in round my work and I can drink the end results with friends and family perfect.
I have warned everyone that they may be the test subjects some time soon :lol:

oldbloke said:
Good deal there!
cheers I think so it will get me going and can add to it ordered ph strips, stick on thermometers. wont need heating as doing it in house back room large glass dining table not used in 3 years except xmas so I have a brew room heating window. also a qualified electrician so should I need to wire fans timers should not be difficult.
but total novice when it comes to brewing so I will be pestering you all re probably simple questions hope that's ok
cheers

Twocson said:
Welcome along :cheers: sounds like a good cheap deal you got there!
cheers yes its ideal hose etc looked bit grubby so went to local brew shop got hose, thermometer yeast and nutrient and plenty of cleaner soaked everything for few hrs in boiling water with vwp now got a kit on and going over to pick up rest of things chemicals, capper, corks, corker, and a big fermenting bucket at the end of the week
was ideal this morning in looking at kit and seen first bubble in airlock and some light froth in it and only 12 hrs really keen to start another 1/2 wines or cider this week and get large fermenting bucket in few weeks to make a lager.
the kit I collected was off gumtree and came with a large black bin that the guy said he made lager in but not food grade nor is the 3lt bucket so I will use large bin for my brew room rubbish
peach sparkling wine next

Latest posts

Back