Fruit/Elderflower in ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kestlemill

Reaction score
Hi, I made a load of elderflower cordial this week and someone else on here as inspired me to make an elderflower ale. My question is, when do I put in the cordial syrup (I've never made a fruit beer)? Should i put it in pre-boil or post-boil? if latter, what temperature?

Thanks for your help!!

I did a two pale ales last year using flower heads. The tastiest one I used 30g of flower heads boiled for the last five min, then a couple more steeped at 80c for 20min
Haven't made any cordial yet, but think 5min both ending the boil would be okay.

Thanks for the reply, yes i reckon it's got to be boil cos of infections from the flowerheads (and insects hiding in them!)

When you made the cordial, surely you used boiling water over the sugar and elderflowers? I'd perhaps add a campden tablet to the cordial 24 hours before adding it, as a precaution, and if I was going to boil it at all, I'd add it 1 min before flame out. Too much boiling will lose you the aroma.

No we didn't use boiling water, just very warm water (perhaps 80) and we bunged a load of citric acid in to try to guard against infection. This is another concern i have, weather the citric acid is going to do the yeast in. Perhaps I do need new elderflowers... Hmmm

Back