First time brew !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, here's the fermentation process this morning....

SL381058.jpg

How's this looking ??

Stephen

Looks fine but try to resist the temptation to keep checking it - you might let some nasties in!!!

I know its difficult!!!

:cheers:

Right, got the hydrometer out this morning, as its coming up for a week of fermentation...

Just on 1020, will do it again tomorrow.

Looks/smells good, apart from the "bits" on top...picture to follow...
Stephen

Hey Mr Mole,

Nice choice of kit, you won't be disappointed, i've done a couple of the woodfordes kits and they're great :)

Happy Brewing

JB

1020 seems a little high - around 1016 - 1014 would be better, sometimes these kits get `stuck` a gentle rouse can help fermentation along. Good luck with the brew :thumb:

Yeah - using a sanitised paddle give it a stir and hopefully it`ll come down a few more points - what sort of temp is the room at?
Don`t worry to much though - give it a few more days anyway, are you planning to keg or bottle ?

Right, checked it in the sample jar, and it is at 1.016..which seems ok..

Also, it is looking pretty clear, and tastes ok as well !

Should I keg it in the same room, leave it a couple of days, then transfer to a cool place for a couple of weeks ?

Thanks, people :thumb:

Sounds good, but if you keg it and leave it where it is I would suggest that you leave it at least until the weekend before you move it somewhere cooler.

adrianmole72 said:
Right, checked it in the sample jar, and it is at 1.016..which seems ok..

Also, it is looking pretty clear, and tastes ok as well !

Should I keg it in the same room, leave it a couple of days, then transfer to a cool place for a couple of weeks ?

Thanks, people :thumb:
HI

With my experience with woodfordes kits, i'd be tempted to leave it a couple of more days before kegging, to see if the og drops anymore, i'm sure it will

JB

adrianmole72 said:
I bow to your superior knowledge, Moley and JustBri, and will do this....

Just keen, that's all !! :cheers:

Stephen

Hi again,

Ive not been brewing that long myself, done a couple of woodfordes kits myself and very tasty, and i think the art with home brewing is patience, i know its hard, but well worth the wait :)

happy brewing

JB

JustBri said:
With my experience with woodfordes kits, i'd be tempted to leave it a couple of more days before kegging, to see if the og drops anymore, i'm sure it will
[pedant] The OG won't change but the FG might ;) [/pedant]

The only Woodforde's kit I've tried was a Wherry, and that finished at 1.014, so it might be a good idea to leave it for another couple of days.

nice brew, hope it goes well, I noticed in your earlier picture you have pitched the hop sachet along with the yeast, do the instructions advise you to do that? I made up a Tom Caxton real ale kit and it advises you to put the hop sachet in with the sugar at the start, before topping up with water or adding yeast, if you stir it in I don't see how it make any difference to be honest.

abeyptfc: Well, it said to pitch the yeast and the hop powder at the same time, so I did !; there was no sugar to be added, as it was a 3kg kit.

As this is my first brew, hopefully any mistakes I make now, I won't make next time - now I'm just writing a shopping list for my move to the darkside next year !!

moley: I love pedantry ! :geek:

Stephen

Latest posts

Back