First time brew !

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok,as promised..

Here's my FV and keg, all sterilsed and clean..

SL381064.jpg

Fg tested at 1.014

SL381065.jpg

Sugar added,transfering started...note to self; make sure tap is in the "OFF" position !, or this is gonna happen :oops:

SL381066.jpg

Nearly done now..

SL381067.jpg

Just this left now..

SL381068.jpg

40(ish) pints of Admirals Reserve gonna stop in the warm for a couple of days,then moving it out to the garage to condition..

SL381069.jpg

Will post pics of first pint (in a couple of weeks!)

Right..what's next ?? :D

Stephen

adrianmole72 said:
Sugar added,transfering started...note to self; make sure tap is in the "OFF" position !, or this is gonna happen :oops:
Stephen

Filling with tap still open :wha: Might be the first time you've done that but if you are anything like the rest of us it won't be the last :rofl:

Looking good, well done. :thumb:

Well, I went into the garage today to see if it had cleared, I poured a bit...

I'm a bit worried now, because there is no carbonation, and the beer was still cloudy. I put 50g of sugar in to prime

Does anyone have an idea what I've done wrong..? it's very cold in there !

Should I re-prime it and move it inside? I tried to add some more co2, but the little bulbs seem to be empty :cry:

Should I forget the co2 injector cap as well ?

After adding the priming sugar, the barrel will need to be kept in the warm for a few days to allow the yeast to consume the sugar and make CO2 :thumb:
Move it inside ;)

Right, a little more sugar has been added, and the keg has been moved inside. Also took the Co2 lid off, and put on the standard one (sterilised and lubed, of course)

Let's see what happens now..

Stephen

Well, after adding more sugar, and leaving in the warm, and ditching the co2 injector cap, I checked my beer, and was:

A) surprised to find a nice creamy head (a little too much,tbh)
B) Beer was fairly clear

Gonna move it to somewhere cooler to see if that helps with clearing. A bit more optimistic now, seeing as it even tasted ok !! :drink:

Stephen

When i used to use barrels i would put the normal cap on till it run out of gas then change it to the cap with the injector and gas it up always worked :D

I'm half finished my barrel of Admiral's Reserve..pretty good finish! I didnt even bother with gelatine with this kit and it's cleared out nicely. Mine was in the barrel for 4 weeks before i touched it.

If you havent tried Wherry consider that kit for your next one perhaps. :cheers:

Well, the beer still isn't completely clear, so I've emailed Munton's, and they are sending me finings (will they work at this stage, and will they affect the taste?), and a new kit, which is nice...

Beer tastes ok, though...

Stephen

Must have been some complaint you raised to get Muntons to send you anything for free! Beer you make at home will never be as clear as what you get in the pub...well i have found that perhaps others have not. If the beer is cloudy, serve it in earthenware jugs i was always told :rofl:

Woodforde's are a great kit to use and in the premium bracket. I found Wherry a very good kit to brew from before i changed over to the darkside and i have a few weeks to see if that change has worked out alright for me.

Let us know how you get on and what kit they sent you...

Well, muntons sent me my free kit out yesterday, and it came this morning ! A Woodfordes Wherrry kit and a sachet of finings, but I can't put them in,coz it would depressurise the keg, and I'm out of co2 bulbs !

Back