First TC ON THE GO !!!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil R

Reaction score
Started my first TC on Monday

24 litres of Lidl apple juice
200g Sugar
3 teabags

Came out at 1.042, does that sound about right for the above ?

Didnt want to make it too stong ABV wise on my first go but i would have thought it would have been more than 1.042 ?

I would have expected a shade more maybe, but if you use the forum calculator top left, assuming it goes down to 996 that will give you 6.1% :D
Happy brewing
S

evanvine said:
I agree with S, the AJ on its own should have an OG of 1042/44.
Measure OG immediatly and also measure its Temp, so you can error correct.

Got nothing to measure temp with, whats best to use ?

evanvine said:
Phil R said:
Got nothing to measure temp with, whats best to use ?
Dare I suggest you buy a Thermometer! :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl:

Knew id get something back like that, with me being new to this i didnt know whether there was something else used instead

Does a TC taste like pub cider or is it more of a scrumpy type.
Will give this ago soon as i want to get a shed load of different types of beer in the shed ready for the summer

Well i would like it to be a bit inbetween the 2 as i dont like it dry.
I will be bottling it and probably leaving it for 2 months before drinking.
I dont want it to be to strong though maybe about 5%
Do you have a recipe for one like this. I have got a big out house to fill with lots of different drinks.

Heyzy said:
Does a TC taste like pub cider or is it more of a scrumpy type.
Will give this ago soon as i want to get a shed load of different types of beer in the shed ready for the summer

Depends on ingredients, as said.
My rough tasting notes suggest a cider yeast gives crips cider, a wine yeast is more likely to be scrumpyish (but not necessarily)
Also, brand new they all tend to be a bit rough, but after (say) 3 weeks they smooth out a lot.

My TC is under the stairs in a little cupboard where our boiler is and ive just checked it and its still bubbling away and at about 1.030.

Am i right in thinking a colder environment it takes longer ?

evanvine said:
Phil R said:
Am i right in thinking a colder environment it takes longer ?
You are correct, but as long as you don't go to extremes you tend to get a better quality ferment.

Its only a little cupboard under the stairs with the boiler in, so i thought it wouldnt be too cold in there.

Should i wrap it ?

Phil R said:
Its only a little cupboard under the stairs with the boiler in, so i thought it wouldnt be too cold in there.

Should i wrap it ?

How cold does it get there? Most yeast will function at 10 degrees without problem. Some of them also work around 5 but not all. If the temperature is above 10 then it will be fine.

Ill check the temperature tonight cant see if being that cold as the boilers in there and it is only an under the stairs cupboard.

Back