Fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisD123

Reaction score
So i have been using the usual buckets type fermenting vessels but am now looking into conical vessels. I am not really bothered about fermenting under pressure (Though may do further down the road) I have been looking at stainless steel vessels and also the fermzilla. I may go down the fermzilla route as it gives me the option later on to switch to pressure fermenting. One question i have is how would you go about bottling from fermzilla without usin CO2. I usually transfer to my trusty bottling bucket and use a wand?

The other question would be what vessels do you recommend

I have this one.
https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/brewdevil-ss-conical/391-30l-brewdevil-ss-conical-fermenter.html

It seems identical to other makes (klarstein, brewmonk, SS brewtech etc) so I'm sure they all roll out of the same Chinese factory and get rebadged. Bottle directly from the tap under gravity - no need for co2.

The cone at the bottom is too shallow to effectively dump yeast during fermentation - it's branded as a "drain" valve and makes cleaning a lot easier! I'm very happy with it

I have Brewbuilder 75L and 150L with coils. Good price, quality and just perfect for me!
Dump yeast no problem and even CO2 pressure drop to kegs. I use them with Acask keg piped jackets, 6mm neoprene cone cover and STC100h modded Brandels sub zero bar chiller in series, the Daddy:cool:!

I have this one.
https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/brewdevil-ss-conical/391-30l-brewdevil-ss-conical-fermenter.html

It seems identical to other makes (klarstein, brewmonk, SS brewtech etc) so I'm sure they all roll out of the same Chinese factory and get rebadged. Bottle directly from the tap under gravity - no need for co2.

The cone at the bottom is too shallow to effectively dump yeast during fermentation - it's branded as a "drain" valve and makes cleaning a lot easier! I'm very happy with it
I take it you add priming sugar/carbonation drops directly to the bottle? and not add sugar solution to the actual fermented beer? I used to rack it into bottling bucket with sugar solution

I take it you add priming sugar/carbonation drops directly to the bottle? and not add sugar solution to the actual fermented beer? I used to rack it into bottling bucket with sugar solution
Correct. Add sugar directly to the bottle for bottle conditioning. I use a half/quarter teaspoon measure along with a funnel, but drops/sachets/zevro etc do the same purpose.

I find that easier/safer/less hassle than a bottling bucket.

I can recommend the fermzilla type of fermenter..I think having a pressure capable fermenter is useful even if you don't want to do pressure fermentation....handy if you want to use a hop dropper to do fully purged and O2 free dry hopping, also very useful for pressure transfers. I also have a Grainfather conical fermenter and though it's a nice bit of kit it is severely hampered by its lack of being able to hold pressure. I've tried to apply pressure to it directly and the lid leaks like a sieve...I got a used GF pressure transfer kit off the 'for sale' section of this forum, but yet to use it so no idea how good it is, but transferring beer from the GF conical is always a tricky process and can be very time consuming so hoping the pressure transfer kit works.

Think you need to evaluate exactly what you're trying to achieve...for me the two things of utmost importance is the ability to keep air out during fermentation and transfer and the ability to control temperature...heating, but especially cooling. If changing your fermenter to a different type aids in those things then its a worthwhile investment, but if not then you're not really gaining anything.

I can recommend the fermzilla type of fermenter..I think having a pressure capable fermenter is useful even if you don't want to do pressure fermentation....handy if you want to use a hop dropper to do fully purged and O2 free dry hopping, also very useful for pressure transfers. I also have a Grainfather conical fermenter and though it's a nice bit of kit it is severely hampered by its lack of being able to hold pressure. I've tried to apply pressure to it directly and the lid leaks like a sieve...I got a used GF pressure transfer kit off the 'for sale' section of this forum, but yet to use it so no idea how good it is, but transferring beer from the GF conical is always a tricky process and can be very time consuming so hoping the pressure transfer kit works.

Think you need to evaluate exactly what you're trying to achieve...for me the two things of utmost importance is the ability to keep air out during fermentation and transfer and the ability to control temperature...heating, but especially cooling. If changing your fermenter to a different type aids in those things then its a worthwhile investment, but if not then you're not really gaining anything.
Thanks for that, i was thinking about fermzilla...so how would i say bottle without pressure

Don't forget "having fun" is a huge part of any hobby. If you want a fermenter because your want it for whatever reason, then get it - even if it doesn't achieve anything or give you tangible results in your beer.

Thanks for that, i was thinking about fermzilla...so how would i say bottle without pressure
Tricky with a fermzilla without pressure as it requires positive head pressure to push beer out, so only way would be to open up the top and use a syphon as you would a bucket...so not really gaining any real benefit in relation to bottling/packaging - or I guess you could just open the PRV and syphon via the flexible dip tube. If you dont want to get into CO2 bottles then you're better off with one of those stainless steel conical buckets if you want an upgrade from a plastic fermenter... so you can use the bottom tap for bottling as you would a plastic bucket...and would be better for cleaning as you can use hot cleaner which is far more effective as well as avoiding scratching up the surface.

Latest posts

Back