Farts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandy

Reaction score
So I've been drinking my homebrew as you do and I've had a few and in my last pour I've accidentally gone over the edge and got some sediment in my drink.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still guzzling this. But I know my farts are gonna honk later because of the yeast and. Other stuff that's swilling about in my pint.

Question: or tips:
When do you know when to stop pouring the homebrew? I mean, I don't want to waste any but also I don't want cabbage gas either. Well, my wife mainly. I'm not that bothered in all honesty .

Genuinely asking for tips really.

Cheers

The yeast shifting can also depend on the yeast you're using and how long it's had time to compact down. Some settle and stick some settle and remain powdery. Either way I pour slowly and keep the bottle and glass at a level where I can see through the bottle and watch the yeast. Also you need to pour at a steady pace and get the lot out at once. If you have very fizzy beer or one producing a big head this might not be possible as the glass may overflow so you could try a jug.

The yeast shifting can also depend on the yeast you're using and how long it's had time to compact down. Some settle and stick some settle and remain powdery. Either way I pour slowly and keep the bottle and glass at a level where I can see through the bottle and watch the yeast. Also you need to pour at a steady pace and get the lot out at once. If you have very fizzy beer or one producing a big head this might not be possible as the glass may overflow so you could try a jug.
Or you end up sucking foam out of your glass while holding the bottle absolutely still in the horizontal position until you've made enough room for the remainder.

So I've been drinking my homebrew as you do and I've had a few and in my last pour I've accidentally gone over the edge and got some sediment in my drink.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still guzzling this. But I know my farts are gonna honk later because of the yeast and. Other stuff that's swilling about in my pint.

When do you know when to stop pouring the homebrew? I mean, I don't want to waste any but also I don't want cabbage gas either. Well, my wife mainly. I'm not that bothered in all honesty .

Cheers
If you're bottling then you're going to get yeast deposits. Be prepared to waste a bit- maybe even a centimetre at the bottom if the bottle. Or rack the beer into a clean fermenter and let it clear before bottling, but you risk more oxidation and it'll take longer to condition.
It might not be the yeast that's making you let rip, more likely to be unfermentable sugars being metabolised in the gut.
What yeast are you using and what final gravities are you getting?

Cheers
Have you considered using a blow-off tube?
You could stick the other end out of the window.

Thanks. I guess it depends on the Co² content. Mine in pretty spot on and am happy with the little bubbles in the glass and also a good head which does remain intact throughout the drink. Currently I'm wasting the last inch of beer down the sink which is criminal for someone like me.
I've just bought some finings for my next brew and have invested in some brown PET bottles that have a collection point for the rubbish in the bottom of the bottle. They are shaped like tonic bottles. Hopefully together with the beer finings the secondary fermentation in the bottle wont create too much rubbish when it clears and it is promised by the maker that the finings will compact the bits into a harder lump at the bottom. We will see if that improves my gas production and it's associated waft.

If you're bottling then you're going to get yeast deposits. Be prepared to waste a bit- maybe even a centimetre at the bottom if the bottle. Or rack the beer into a clean fermenter and let it clear before bottling, but you risk more oxidation and it'll take longer to condition.
It might not be the yeast that's making you let rip, more likely to be unfermentable sugars being metabolised in the gut.
What yeast are you using and what final gravities are you getting?
I got og 1043 and Fg of 1009 giving me a decent abv of 4.5.

The yeast I used was the one that came with the kit so I didn't really look to what variety it was . I just tipped itin as per the instructions.

The first fermentation deffo finished. There was no bubbling in my airlock at all for a couple of days before bottling took place.

This came up in another forum, that discussed that in depth - the issue isn't necessarily the yeast, more that you have a very fermentable gut?

Is this a chocolate problem and nothing to do with the beer 🤣

This came up in another forum, that discussed that in depth - the issue isn't necessarily the yeast, more that you have a very fermentable gut?

Is this a chocolate problem and nothing to do with the beer 🤣
I don't eat much chocolate.

Having said that. My gut doesn't like onions or garlic so maybe it doesn't like yeast either. My real ale diet can be differing dependant on the brew.
Wadsworth's 6x used to make me honk terribly but more clearer types like Jarl etc have no problems at all. Gas yes but eggy not so much

Not necessarily chocolate.. More that maybe have sweet stuff in there that can ferment and make gas.
Yeah. I get what you're saying but again...I'm not really a sugar consumer. In tea which I rarely have I have a couple of spoons. But the main diet of mine rarely has added sugar. I like savoury stuff. Marmite on toast instead of marmalade or jam. Pork pies instead of sweet pastries. My daughter like to bake and I rarely take her produce only as a kindness to her. Don't get me wrong I do eat sweet stuff occasionally but mainly savoury. Onions have been a factor. There are natural sugars in them so maybe it's that but again I'm aware of what they give me so I avoid them if possible. My diet hasn't really changed at all from what I normally consume without any gastric expletives, to drinking my homebrew with a fundamental change in gas production. I'm pretty sure it's linked to the sediments because I've had the same brew with no sedimentary aliens in my glass and gas has risen but honk did get much worse after drinking the sedimentary pint.

Funny you should say that, I used to reckon 6X was the best laxative available. Didn't happen with any other beer, just 6X, so have avoided it for years now.
Loved the 6x when I lived just down the road and it was fresh and beautifully clean. But honk honk honk for days. I didn't care much though as it was just me myself and I. Now I have a Mrs to consider and she's already not keen on my new homebrew hobby so I have to find a solution to the excess gas dilemma 😂

Back