Edme Irish stout went crazy for three days, no bubbles now!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Beerbelly

Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post. It's my third brew, hopefully ready for Christmas. I purchased an Edme Irish stout kit on Saturday, clean me fermenter and brewing equipment. I put the contents of the can to x 30 pints of water, x 1 tin of black treacle, x 1/2 tin of Golden syrup, x 500g Mollasis dark sugar, x 1 sachet of yeast and x 1 large root of ginger grated down fine. WOW!!!!!!!!!! The next morning the lid was up on the fermenter and the yeast had gone crazy, I didn't have that froth on my bitter brews before. The whole lot was quite active on Sunday and Monday. Now it's pretty flat. I've had a few tastes, quite rich, no real taste of ginger or will that come later. Does anyone have any ideas. Is it ok ? Help.......................... Cheers Mr.Beerbelly.

Thanks for answering. Hello. I have my brew in the spare box room. I haven't bothered with a thermometer. On my other brews I have wrapped a fleecy blanket and body warmer around, I've done the same on this brew. The radiator isn't on in that room so, it's quite a good room for brewing.

Hello fella's, Well I took a reading and it's 1.010 at the moment and has been since early this morning. There is really no fizz at tasting. Cheers Mr.Beerbelly.

You need to take another reading tomorrow. If the grav stays the same I would say the ferment is done. May be a little quick. I would give it another week to clean up and clear down. Then keg or bottle to get that fizz.

Everyone who has replied to me tonight thankyou. I reckon it is properly fermented. I will take another reading tomorrow morning. I'm really pleased with the taste so far, I reckon when it's bottled and primed it's going to be a little corker for Christmas. Cheers to you all. I'm looking forward to using this site from now on. Probably won't be on every night, a pint too many may get in the way. I drinking my first Brewbuddy Youngs bitter at the moment. I made 30 pints a month ago. It's carbonated without any mishaps. A great drink at the moment as, I store it in my shed bottled and it cold................LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thankyou for your help again. Mr.Beerbelly. :thumb: :cheers:

:cheers: I have checked my brew for three days now and the hydrometre reading is the same. Everything is ready for bottling tomorrow. I'm quite impressed by this kit so, I got another today. I've mixed 1kg of Muskova cane sugar, tin of Green and Blacks organic cocoa and a tin of black treacle together to add to my stout mix tomorrow. WOW. That should be just right for Christmas. I'm writting every recipe down on my laptop. What do you think out there and have you mixed similar things ? :drink:

let us know how it turns out.
i'm curious to know how a full tin of black treacle will taste in it.
Ive got one that's almost ready to bottle now. i added two tablespoons of black treacle, two jars of Holland and Barret malt extract and half a kilo of brewing sugar. smells lovely.
should be nice to drink over Christmas :thumb:

Hi Mick, Got in from work today and put my kit together for this brew. The cocoa is very bitter on it's own, I made it as a solution so, it mixed in well. The sugar cane and black treacle, just over 450g LOL will certainly sweeten thing up. Oh yes plus the 1/2 tin of Golden syrup, I also much a sachet of Swartz Christmas spices in for that Christmas pudding aroma. If it does drink too well I can put custard on it. It's going to be a corker, you can bet. I haven't tried malt from Holland and Barrat but, I will be soon. Anytime is nice to have a couple of good pints but, I love Wintery beers. Roll on Christmas. :cheers: for now. :drink:

Latest posts

Back