Dumping Trub / Bottle Conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crafty

Reaction score
I'm looking for a little advice regarding dumping trub during fermentation. I'm planning to bottle condition this batch and not sure if dumping the trub will affect how well it carbonates. Will I still have plenty of yeast in suspension or not, I usually dump the trub and hops then go straight in to kegs and carbonate via CO2 not sure if I should approach bottle conditioning differently.

I'm looking for a little advice regarding dumping trub during fermentation. I'm planning to bottle condition this batch and not sure if dumping the trub will affect how well it carbonates. Will I still have plenty of yeast in suspension or not, I usually dump the trub and hops then go straight in to kegs and carbonate via CO2 not sure if I should approach bottle conditioning differently.
Dump the trub/rack off from above the trub level in the same way as you would for kegging.
Will I still have plenty of yeast in suspension or not
It won't affect the carbonation and it'll have plenty of yeast left in suspension for bottle conditioning. Even visually clear beer still has enough yeast for bottle conditioning. It's only if you filter the beer that you need to worry.

Even visually clear beer still has enough yeast for bottle conditioning. It's only if you filter the beer that you need to worry.

What Gonzo says ^

Visually clear beer can still have millions of yeast cells per millilitre of beer. One of my books says that the standard among Belgian breweries that bottle condition is to aim for around 800,000 cells per millilitre.

So you really have to go a long way to stop a beer carbonating.

What Gonzo says ^

Visually clear beer can still have millions of yeast cells per millilitre of beer. One of my books says that the standard among Belgian breweries that bottle condition is to aim for around 800,000 cells per millilitre.

So you really have to go a long way to stop a beer carbonating.

Interesting...
Respectful question; how are the 800,000 cells counted / estimated?

Interesting...
Respectful question; how are the 800,000 cells counted / estimated?
I think the simplest way to do it is with a hemocytometer. Essentially, you dilute your sample down in an accurate way, then put a very tiny but accurately measured amount under a microscope, then count individual cells. Then multiply your results up

You use a haemocytometer (or very similar spelling 🤣)

Which is a special plate (with a grid) you use in a microscope to count the yeast cells @ x400 magnification

Even a good cold crash and fining beer completely eradicates yeast in the beer that is available for secondary fermentation. that is essentially how cask beer works, despite being fined before packaging and during packaging there is still secondary fermentation that takes place in the cask.

Back when I used to bottle condition I would have no issues even after a good week cold crash and transferring visually clear beer into the bottles and priming with sugar. No issues with carbonation.

Even a good cold crash and fining beer completely eradicates yeast in the beer that is available for secondary fermentation. that is essentially how cask beer works, despite being fined before packaging and during packaging there is still secondary fermentation that takes place in the cask.
You seem to contradict yourself here. If it completely eradicates yeast, how can there be secondary fermentation in the cask.

Did you mean "does not eradicate yeast in the beer"?

Latest posts

Back