Is cask beer this simple?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible to emulate a cask beer from a bottle, the best commercial beer I have had from a bottle with carbonation as low as a cask ale is a Kiwi Pale Ale from McCashins Brewery. It is just a matter of the sugar addition and temperature at the point of bottling.
Practically zero carbonation.
View attachment 104667
View attachment 104668
I know the discussion has moved on, but I broadly agree with this. I used king kegs for years, and found them to be great if you get through the beer fairly quickly. But if you drink beers over a number of months, as I do, they seem to keep better if bottled (at least that is my experience). So I exclusively bottle now. But the trick is to not go crazy with the priming sugar. The amount to use depends a bit on when you bottle and the yeast you use, as some keep chomping away on their own right and others stop dead. I've even bottled with no priming sugar and got a lightly sparkling ale at the end after a bit of a wait. I find most commercially Bought bottled beers overly carbonated, but it does not have to be that way!

Latest posts

Back