Dry hop & cold crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beermonster66

Honest mister, a'am no really a welder!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a batch of Bulldog Evil Dog just about finished primary and I'm looking for advice on dry hopping and cold crashing : Can this be done together or dry hop 1st for 1-2 days then cold crash?

Also, I don't want to lug the FV through the house to the garage so I was planning to sit it in the bath and fill it. Mains water is around 13°C - is this cold enough or not worth the effort?

I try to cold crash mine around 4 to 5C and that works well. For me, 13C is more of a cellaring/aging temp.

I try hop right in the keg. Are you kegging or bottling?

I try to cold crash mine around 4 to 5C and that works well. For me, 13C is more of a cellaring/aging temp.

I try hop right in the keg. Are you kegging or bottling?
I'll be bottling.

The garage would be best for cold crashing then. I hope I don't do my back in, or worse, drop the FV! 😱

Thanks for the advice.

I have a batch of Bulldog Evil Dog just about finished primary and I'm looking for advice on dry hopping and cold crashing : Can this be done together or dry hop 1st for 1-2 days then cold crash?

Also, I don't want to lug the FV through the house to the garage so I was planning to sit it in the bath and fill it. Mains water is around 13°C - is this cold enough or not worth the effort?
The colder the temperature the more effective the cold crash is I take mine down to -1C once on that temp it only takes 48 hours to clear.
A good read about dry hopping here.
an abstract of the thesis of - Oregon State University
https://ir.library.oregonstate.edu › downloads

I dry hop for 3 days before cold crashing. If you dry hop at cold crash temperatures you'll probably find you get less extraction from the hops.

I dry hop for 3 days before cold crashing. If you dry hop at cold crash temperatures you'll probably find you get less extraction from the hops.
I think you will find that it will be no different down to -4C. As Wolfe describes in his thesis. Dry hopping at lower temperatures reduces the extraction of polyphenols.

Last edited:
I think Stu is right, but a few extra days makes no difference in the greater scheme of things ( lazy brewing) The grassy thing is another myth

Finally went with dry hop (25g each Simcoe & Summit + 50g Mosaic for good measure) @ 22°C. Wanted to prime and bottle on Sunday but 'er indoors had other ideas so done & dusted last night after 4 days hopping. Lovely fruity note to the aroma so I think the Mosaic has done its thang. 44 bottles all snug for secondary. Roll on Xmas!

I know this is going back quite a bit, but just wondering do you remove the hops after the 3 days or cold crash with them still in?

Going to be doing my first dry hopping soon and seems to be a lot of conflicting ideas, so not sure how to proceed.

As you have said conflicting advice will be given so find what works for . I put my dry hop in a veg bag so I can remove them and clear the beer with less trub/hop debris also leaving the hops in too long can and I say can according to some give off tastes like grassiness not that I have ever had it.

I know this is going back quite a bit, but just wondering do you remove the hops after the 3 days or cold crash with them still in?

Going to be doing my first dry hopping soon and seems to be a lot of conflicting ideas, so not sure how to proceed.

I cold crash with them in. I chuck them in loose so the only way I can remove them is once they've dropped to the bottom of the cone (I use a conical fermenter).

I've shortened how long I wait now before cold crashing; this is my current process:

1. Pass Diacetyl test.
2. Soft crash to 12degC over 24 hours.
3. Hold for 48 hours.
4. Dump yeast.
5. Dry hop.
6. Hold for 24 hours.
7. Cold crash to as close to zero.
8. Hold for 24 hours.
9. Add finings.
10. Hold for 48-72 hours (until clear); removing yeast / hop matter as needed from the cone.

Something I should add to the above... if you aren't able to drop the yeast after the initial soft-crash, you may be better off dry hopping either during or close to the end of fermentation, i.e. before you drop the temperature, to limit the risk of hop creep producing diacetyl that the yeast then can't clean up.

I’ve read that some home brewers drop the temperature to around 15C at the end of fermentation to dry hop for 2-3 days then cold crash. I don’t but might try it one day. I use pellets to dry hop 3 days before cold crash. Drop them in loose with my dry hopper so I don’t have to open the fermentation bucket.

I’ve read that some home brewers drop the temperature to around 15C at the end of fermentation to dry hop for 2-3 days then cold crash. I don’t but might try it one day. I use pellets to dry hop 3 days before cold crash. Drop them in loose with my dry hopper so I don’t have to open the fermentation bucket.

Interesting, do you know what the advantage is of this? To my understanding the solubility increases as temperature increases (to a point) so I would assume that reducing the temperature would equally reduce the extraction of oils into the beer.

Interesting, do you know what the advantage is of this? To my understanding the solubility increases as temperature increases (to a point) so I would assume that reducing the temperature would equally reduce the extraction of oils into the beer.
Sorry can't remember. Could be to do with boiling off/evaporation of volatile oils? Just remember seeing it on this forum somewhere.

Back