Dry hop & cold crash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, do you know what the advantage is of this? To my understanding the solubility increases as temperature increases (to a point) so I would assume that reducing the temperature would equally reduce the extraction of oils into the beer.

It's mostly to try and prevent hop creep occurring, however, some brewers report it results in less astringency and/or grassy flavours and aromas.

IMO you will not get hop creep if you add the hops during active fermentation usually as the first flush of the initial active ferment drops down say usually day 3/4 with most brews unless a high ABV beer.
My reasoning is it is fermenting anyway and will deal with any hop action that may start re-fermentation so it is more likely to get hop creep when fermentation is less active toward the end.

Interesting, do you know what the advantage is of this? To my understanding the solubility increases as temperature increases (to a point) so I would assume that reducing the temperature would equally reduce the extraction of oils into the beer.

That is what you would logically think but apparently hop flavour extraction is quicker at 4c than 18c. (From a book I read called New IPA).

IMO you will not get hop creep if you add the hops during active fermentation usually as the first flush of the initial active ferment drops down say usually day 3/4 with most brews unless a high ABV beer.
My reasoning is it is fermenting anyway and will deal with any hop action that may start re-fermentation so it is more likely to get hop creep when fermentation is less active toward the end.

Hop creep is the re-fermentation process you are referring to. Enzymes in the hops work on the residual sugars in the beer making them fermentable by yeast.

You can (almost certainly will) get hop creep if you dry hop during active fermentation, however, you won't get any of the nastier side effects (e.g. diacetyl) as you still need to complete fermentation, diacetyl rest, etc. You'll just end up with a beer that finishes a few SG points lower (i.e. higher attenuation).

Less of a concern for smaller dry hop rates, but when dealing with the sort of dry hopping rates you see in NEIPAs it can lead to a final beer that is too dry.

Some brewers overcome this by accepting hop creep will occur and mash at a higher temperature to compensate. Others dry hop at a cooler temperature to try and prevent it happening.

Hop creep is the re-fermentation process you are referring to. Enzymes in the hops work on the residual sugars in the beer making them fermentable by yeast.

You can (almost certainly will) get hop creep if you dry hop during active fermentation, however, you won't get any of the nastier side effects (e.g. diacetyl) as you still need to complete fermentation, diacetyl rest, etc. You'll just end up with a beer that finishes a few SG points lower (i.e. higher attenuation).

Less of a concern for smaller dry hop rates, but when dealing with the sort of dry hopping rates you see in NEIPAs it can lead to a final beer that is too dry.

Some brewers overcome this by accepting hop creep will occur and mash at a higher temperature to compensate. Others dry hop at a cooler temperature to try and prevent it happening.
That is what I was alluding to Stu it is dealt with during normal fermentation. I know some will say even with lower fermentation going on it will scrub some of the oils away but it depends on which camp you are in as always there is conflicting opinions even by the experts of how and when to dry hop.

Latest posts

Back