Crushing your own grain.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do not normally crush. So I really am a novice at this. Normally just a few grams as an adjunct.

Do many people condition their grain before crushing?

I ask because we often discussing milling, and gap size, but not conditioning?

I started conditioning it a couple of years ago. It makes a small but noticeable increase to how the wort drains through the grain bed during recirculation.

If I'm in a hurry I skip it

2% by weight for me, only the grains with husks. So not roasted grains or wheat or flaked grains.
Spray a bit of the water, mix and then spray again. No problem for my mill or crush with this.

2% by weight for me, only the grains with husks. So not roasted grains or wheat or flaked grains.
Spray a bit of the water, mix and then spray again. No problem for my mill or crush with this.
Same here. I'm wondering what @Caramel Ox did to make a mess of their mill.

How long did you leave it, to soak in?
Mine gets left anywhere from half an hour as I get everything else ready, to overnight. When I mill it, it's dry, but not "powdery dry" like you get out of the sack. Grain husk is more leathery. It's certainly not wet, in and sense if the word and never had any issue with it going through the mill

That's a good description of want I got. Wish I had taken a pic of the crush now.

BM liked it, and TBH they can be fussy about grain crush size.

Husks cam out almost whole the the grain was cracked.

Husks cam out almost whole the the grain was cracked.
Same here. As far as I've read, that's that you're after. I had to double check mine the first time as at a quick glance some of the kernels looked whole

I have started crushing my own, I haven't conditioned it, I didn't even know that was a thing.
Sounds like a right faff to me since it would mean having to rinse down and dry the mill. I use a two roller Grain Gorilla set to a fairly fine grind. Once I'd tightened up the locking nuts with a pair of pliars I've never had any trouble with it, it hadn't moved in a couple of years. Great bit of kit, if a little slow evem when driven with an electric drill.

since it would mean having to rinse down and dry the mill.
You shouldn't need to... If you are doing that, then you're using waaaay to much water. As mentioned above, the grain should still be dry too the touch after conditioning. The mill should be totally dry like normal after you've crushed your grain

I’ve been milling my own for 10 years with a cheap mill and a cordless drill/driver on the slower gears.

i haven’t found the need to condition, I just gradually opened the mill gap up until it just was narrow enough to break every kernel of barley and no more.

Crushing wheat requires a tighter setting, and rye goes through on the tightest.

Sounds like a right faff to me since it would mean having to rinse down and dry the mill. I use a two roller Grain Gorilla set to a fairly fine grind. Once I'd tightened up the locking nuts with a pair of pliars I've never had any trouble with it, it hadn't moved in a couple of years. Great bit of kit, if a little slow evem when driven with an electric drill.
Too much of a faff for me and the benefits seem doubtful, I used my new Grainfather Mill and followed the Malt Miller guide and I reckon it was spot on. I have no problem with re-circulation anyway.

Latest posts

Back