Correct temperature for wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
I am using a wine kit company California Connoisseur. It states that
the wine for the first 2 stages should be kept between 20 & 25C. For
the next 2 stages Degassing and Stabilizing, there is no preferred
temperature. I have found sometimes that I can’t force the
fermentation to even stop. Is the room temperature too high for this.
Can wine if brought in from the cold back to room temperature start up
again.

Would not be good in sealed bottles.

The fermentation temp is dependant on the yeast. Some like it hot or cold, but most prefer about 20-21c. If you go too cold the yeast go into hybernation but will come back to life again if you move the FV to a warmer place. For degassing you want it on the higher side but room temp is fine. I also find the 2 part finnings work better at room temp rather than cool. Once it has cleared you can then move to a maturing temp of about 13c if you can. But probably more important is a stable temp rather than one that swings up and down. Try to not go over 25c as you can get off flavours.

Mi wine has the following
Primary fermentation Day 1 to 8
Secondary fermintation Day 8 to 20

It is now day 17 of Secondary fermintation SG is 0.990 and no sign of fermintation. Should I leave it or jump to Stage 3 Degassing?

Thanks for the temperature problem.

Go to stage three and stabilise and degas. You won't get any lower than .990. You may want to leave it to bulk mature before you bottle though. But even after bottling leave it a while as racking has a negative effect on wine.

Hi Bob

Thanks for your help. I have gone to stage 3. I realised that I forgot to put the Bentonite in at the start. I hate this substance. I mix it with water and add it to the wine at the start. It turns into hard like concrete in the glass. So not sure about the best way to rely mix it in. It is supposed to remove proteins. It seems to be working so far. Have I caused a later problem?

You may want to leave it to bulk mature before you bottle though. Not sure what you mean here. I have in the past bottled wine but was unable to keep it in a cold 13c. Later found to be a bit frothy when poring as if it has started up again slightly. A bottle of wine from a local shop does not do this.

You can still use bentonite now if you want. But tbh I would only use it if you don't have any other finings. When I talk about 13c I am talking the ideal temp, not what's practical. I store my wine in a shed so the temp is what it is and it's fine. As for bulk maturing, it's supposed to be better, but if you don't have the means to store in bulk, again maturing in the bottle is fine. I find it easier to bulk mature as I can decide when I bottle. And that's a job I hate. But necessary I suppose. Anyway, don't worry and enjoy your wine. I am sure it will be fine.

Ah
I think I know what you mean by bulk maturing. Tell me if I am wrong. Use a 5 dispenser instead of bottles and pour it out as needed ?????

Shure would make a saving on buying lotts of corks and a corking mechanism.

No you still have to bottle. Bulk maturing is leaving the wine in a big container after clearing and stabilising. Once it's clear I rack and then leave. I usually make 25lt batches and leave in a 25 lt container for a few months and then bottle. Sadly you still have to bottle but I suppose you could put it into 5 or 10 lt collapsible bag in a box type containers. I have 2 5lt ones but they are too big to fit in our fridge.

Latest posts

Back