conditioning in keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bing

Reaction score
Hi brew gang

I have had a look through the search function to try and find an answer, but I have not been successful. So here goes...

In my limited brewing experience, I have been using a bucket FV, siphoning into primed bottles to condition, then drink after suitable time. So far so good (apart from when the beer runs out)

My dad has given me a plastic keg that he has requested be filled with beer. It has a tap on it. So I am planning to ferment in my bucket FV, then transfer the beer into this keg (complete with priming solution) for it to condition, then he can draw straight from this keg for drinking.

Before I go any further, this is an OK plan, right? No problems with doing this?

Anyway, my question is this.

Does this keg need an airlock?

I am currently assuming no, going on the basis that bottles with beer conditioning in them do not have airlocks either. I know this may be a simple question, but best to be sure.

I should add that when you start drawing beer, the pressure will drop, so you will need to either re-prime or, ideally, inject CO2 through a valve on the top.

How do you use those CO2 gas valve things?
I take it the bulb is attached to a valve screwed into the keg, but each time you draw beer off, do you pump a little bit of CO2 back into the keg?

How do you use those CO2 gas valve things?
I take it the bulb is attached to a valve screwed into the keg, but each time you draw beer off, do you pump a little bit of CO2 back into the keg?
There are normally two ways of injecting CO2 into a basic PB. First uses one shot bulbs which are screwed down in a holder onto a hollow piercing needle i.e. you pierce the bulb and all the CO2 is discharged through the needle into the barrel through a non return device, the second uses a larger CO2 cylinder, which allows you to top up with CO2 as/when required again through a non return device. Each type uses a slightly different valve in the cap. If you have bought a budget cap chances are you will only have a pressure relief device in the cap, and no way of injecting CO2 gas, and in that case can only use priming sugar to generate CO2. But all is not lost, that's what I do. :thumb:
But if you have a means to inject CO2 you can just prime the PB at the start and then when the pressure drops as beer is taken from the barrel top up with CO2 without the need to reprime with sugar.

If I was to 'reprime with sugar', what do I do? How would I get the priming solution into the beer? Just syringe it into the opening for the valve?

Much appreciated...

Back