Can you ferment too fast? M54 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's all I can think. It flattened out in 48 hrs and I left it a few more days, but maybe not long enough. I also mashed at a bit higher temp (~ 68.5 degs) trying to add body, so unsure if that made a difference...?

That recipe sounds interesting. Might give it a go... athumb..

Ever since I had a problem with the MJ M15 (very long slow fermentation after a relatively quick start), which did the same (frothing), I take my time to let everything ferment out, and that could be more than two weeks. In the case of the M54 I decided to treat it like a real lager and kept it a week or two longer at 16°-18° (well, a real lager still takes more time, but you get the idea).

As I mentioned in another thread, I pitched a packet of S33 at 2pm on brew day. It had already taken off quite vigorously by 10pm the same night. Fermentation was complete by 9am the next morning. OG was 1.068, FG was 1.021 so about 6.25% (alternate). Which is what I was aiming for.

Left it another 36 hours, just in case it started up again. Ispindel says no. Racked it. Burst carbed. Was drinking it 4 days later. Tastes great.

Ever since I had a problem with the MJ M15 (very long slow fermentation after a relatively quick start), which did the same (frothing), I take my time to let everything ferment out, and that could be more than two weeks. In the case of the M54 I decided to treat it like a real lager and kept it a week or two longer at 16°-18° (well, a real lager still takes more time, but you get the idea).
This is the original M15, I think. Low attenuation, probably doesn't ferment maltotriose and leaves Northern brown ales sweet and wholesome after a long day of breaking up the permafrost and plowing the peat down at the croft. And yodelling.
1719585915494.png

Back