Campden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 47933

Reaction score
What’s the general consensus on using Campden tablets on bottled water? Pointless or not?

Both are still. (Not fizzy)

Table water is bottled tap wayer
Mineral water is bottle spring water that can be still.

Table water may have chlorine in.

Primairy they're used to get rid of chlorine that might be added to your supply however I understand this leeches out of the water over time so if you pour out your strike water the night before the chlorine will come out overnight.

However I believe they're still useful to add to reduce the dissolved oxygen in the strike water which is good for long term stability of the finished beer and prevents oxidation. Often when people talk about reducing 'hot side aeration' they refer to splashing of the wort through the mash and boil and that can increase the levels of DO, but there is already DO in the water to begin with which Campden tablets can scrub and reduce. However on the homebrew scale It is probably has a negligible impact.

Primairy they're used to get rid of chlorine that might be added to your supply however I understand this leeches out of the water over time so if you pour out your strike water the night before the chlorine will come out overnight.

However I believe they're still useful to add to reduce the dissolved oxygen in the strike water which is good for long term stability of the finished beer and prevents oxidation. Often when people talk about reducing 'hot side aeration' they refer to splashing of the wort through the mash and boil and that can increase the levels of DO, but there is already DO in the water to begin with which Campden tablets can scrub and reduce. However on the homebrew scale It is probably has a negligible impact.
Thanks 👍

The water supply in my area contains 12mg Cl/litre (figure from Scottish water).
For complete chlorine neutralisation, add sodium metabisulphite (Campdem) at 1.5x amount of Chlorine.
So need 6 x 1.5 = 9mg Campdem /litre. And takes immediate effect.

Campden tablets typically weigh 0.44 g each and 10 tablets are equivalent to one level teaspoon of sodium metabisulphite.
1 tablet (440mg) would neutralise all chlorine from 49litres of my tap water.

The chemistry:
Sodium metabisulfite reduces free chlorine to form sodium bisulfate (NaHSO4) and
hydrochloric acid (HCl). The Chloramines are converted to sodium bisulfate, hydrochloric
acid, and ammonium chloride (NH4Cl).
For Free Chlorine:
Na2S2O5 + 3H2O + 2Cl2 --> NaHSO4 + 2HCl
For Chloramines:
Na2S2O5 + 9H2O + 2NH3 +6Cl2 --> 6NaHSO4 + 10HCl + 2NH4Cl
The theoretical dosage for dechlorination requires 1.338 parts of pure sodium metabisulfite
for each part of chlorine or chloramine. In practice, the feed rate should be 10% in excess to
ensure total chlorine removal. The reaction is almost instantaneous.

Nice to know the chemistry even if it is above my head....can you overdose with it? I tend to just add one tablet for a 20 litre batch, where I think the stated 'dose' was half a tablet?

Also I think my Camden tablets are potassium metabisulphate...does that matter...is it the metabisulphate part that is important rather than the potassium vs Sodium?

Though for control of spoilage organisnms in country winemaking, where you dont want to boil the ingredients, I'd be adding 2 level tsp /23l. Often after scalding with boiling water, then adding cold for 23C ferment.

The water supply in my area contains 12mg Cl/litre (figure from Scottish water).

Chlorine or Chloramine?

I ask because I have a suspicion that chlorine needs treating and this is were/why it originally started.
Since then, chloramine has become more widely used and due not necessarily need treating.

Potassium metabisulphate is much better. But often more difficult to get. So are you sure?
Pretty sure, I'll double check. doesn't matter ultimately, just means I don't have to buy sodium metabisulphate separately that I use occasionally for preventing oxidation at packaging.

Most beer (& wine) yeasts will happily still get going with higher dosing rates. So 1 tablet per 23l or 5gal going to be fine most times.
I only do accurate amount when it's for water kefir. You need rid of the chlorine, but don't want extra sulphites. Though, for resting kefir grains, I'd always remove chlorine by boil & cool (in an open pan).

@peterpiper
Can you supply the rest of your water report?
My water report basic as it is below
Screenshot_20231004-163309.png

Shows Cl 10

This is not the same as chlorine or chloramine but ionised.
Your water Cl could be due to NaCl or MgCl or CaCl and this is not what the sodium metabisulphate neutralises.
@peebee knows more about this than me.
Otherwise you'd need to add a LOT of sodium metabisulphate to the "light" Burton water profile I use for five points ale.
Screenshot_20231004-164037.png

Half a campden tablet per 25 litres will neutralise the chlorine or chloramine any excess will react with DO. But do remember the Na will affect your salt balance. Brewfather will account for this.

Latest posts

Back