Brewing beers like the ones you buy Dave Lines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
This was the book that changed my life around 1978-79 and became my bible for many years, I know it looks a bit dated now but was the best of its time.

I agree, there's a lot of assumption that you already know some things, and it does dumb some stuff down - steeping grains, water treatment - which could get you into bad habits. I also outgrew it very quickly because almost every recipe seem to be a basic lager or an ale with fuggles and goldings. Great if you want typical pub beers though!

I have just bought this book. It looks to have some solid info and I doubt many of the methods and rcepies have changed very much over the years ;) Can't wait to try some of them. :)

Dave Line was a pioneer & did so much to make home brewing credible.Yes,some of the methods/theories/recipes are outdated but reading his books inspired me to go AG.If only someone would update his books,there are a few beers I would have a go at again....

I still have my battered copy which I got when I first started brewing in about 1980. I suppose the ingredients, probably especially the hops were those available to home brewers in those days. It seems so long ago I can't remember.

bobsbeer said:
I still have my battered copy which I got when I first started brewing in about 1980. I suppose the ingredients, probably especially the hops were those available to home brewers in those days. It seems so long ago I can't remember.

That's right for the English beers it was goldings, fuggles or if you went really exotic northern brewer.

The version I have is a reprint. The guy who did the reprint has said he has put notes in with updated methods and techs. Just finished reading the first few chapters. Wow this book was a labor of love. So many recepies in it.

My dad came to visit and said he owned a copy of the book in the 80's when he tried homebrew. He seemed chuffed that I had got a copy and was giving it a bash myself.

I still use the recipes but scale up the grain bill to use less sugar. However for old hooky I went exactly to book even the sweeteners. My dad swears it's like the beer used to be.

Is it worth picking up Line's book on the cheap via Amazon? Or is there another tome you guys can recommend?

critty said:
I have just bought this book. It looks to have some solid info and I doubt many of the methods and rcepies have changed very much over the years ;) Can't wait to try some of them. :)

critty, when i first started ag i was told on here that if using dave lines recipes up the grain bill by 20%-25% and reduce the hop bill by 10%
as to reach the gravities he says you would have to hit around 100% efficiency.
johnluc

critty said:
The version I have is a reprint. The guy who did the reprint has said he has put notes in with updated methods and techs.

Do you have a link to somewhere selling the updated version? My copy got lost when I stopped brewing many many years ago, there are many beers I'd like to try again from it :thumb:

Cheers Tom

critty said:
Amazon have one but it's a 1998 print.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brewing-Beers-T ... 704&sr=1-1

My local home brew shop has some in too. But I dunno the print date. But if you want I can grab you one the next time I am in and you can just paypal me the money when I send it.

Hi critty

Thanks for the link and the offer. I've been having a look around and actually found that one myself so I've just ordered it :) Is that the exact one that you have?

Cheers Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
bobsbeer said:
Just noticed the price on the front. £1.25 Those were the days. :D

Thats what I paid for mine, I made loads of great beer from this book.
Guinness was 40p a pint back then, so the value today is three pints of Guinness!

I must look out for the reprint,

The lady who served me in the homebrew shop in Wakefield (M & D Homebrew) recommended this book so I bought it.
I will deffo be trying some of the recipes when I sharpen my skills, any other recommendations would be most welcome.
KC. :cheers:

Not wanting to change the subject but another book to look at is Wheelers book brew Your own British Real Ale. A bit more up to date and probably the present day bible. I have both and both are really good, but if I were to buy just one it would be the Wheeler book. Another alternative, not common over here, are the books by Charlie Papazain, but a really good read. He is well respected and read in the USA.

"when i first started ag i was told on here that if using dave lines recipes up the grain bill by 20%-25% and reduce the hop bill by 10%
as to reach the gravities he says you would have to hit around 100% efficiency."

In his Big Book of Brewing Dave Lines says that he assumes 100% efficiency in his recipes and mentions the trend towards higher alpha acid levels among hop producers.

A mate of mine did his London Pride straight from the book, came out quite bitter (**** scales might have been a factor). It all got drunk quick enough though!

Enjoying a GW London Porter at the moment...
bob

I bought this book in the early 80's too. It was the only real information I had to go on back then.
I wish the internet came about 20 years sooner. I've learned more in the last couple of weeks reading the old posts on here than anything I have come across before.
I think you guys are great but my wife hates you already. :lol:

Latest posts

Back