Brewing beers like the ones you buy Dave Lines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dennisking said:
tonybaloni said:
I think you guys are great but my wife hates you already. :lol:

Mine gave up years ago.

I wish mine would after 28 years of marriage she still thinks she can change me.
The future looks bleak as her mother is still trying to change her father. He has learned to live in his shed most of the time coming out at mealtimes.
Only to be bullied in the amount of sugar, fat, cholesterol and air he is breathing. :lol:

dennisking said:
What a life. :(
It's not too bad he is a model engineer and is building a scale steam engine in the shed. He is allowed out at weekends to go to engineering shows. :thumb:

I bought his bok in the eighties and tried a few, which weren't brilliant but got drunk.
Didn't he advocate throwing in a weetabix five minutes from the end of the boil?

I started with this book, AND had exactly the same square green mash tun pictured in the book. Disappeared years ago when I wasnt brewing, dont know where? Seem to remember he considered anything less than 23deg ( nearly80%) was bad grain!

Still got mine

9258441146_48c4600437_z.jpg

1984 edition.

Coming across it again 18 months ago led me to this Forum :thumb:

I have exactly the same edition, BlakenhallBrewer :)

Yes, this book and his other (The Big Book of Brewing) were what got me started. Don't forget, it was only during the 60's that the Government scrapped duty on home brewed beer and hence the habit (which most country housewives knew well) practically died out. Kits were all the rage and a lot of pub beer was keg (pasteurised and gassed- horrible).

Dave's recipes almost always work out well and are none the worse because, understandably, he tends to use traditional English hops (there's nothing better anyhow for bitter etc). Besides, I'm sick of very pale lager looking ales with citrus flavours. If anyone is thinking of jumping from extract or kits, I can recommend this book and his other, (see further up my post). In fact, his basic recipe (pale malt, crystal malt, goldings) was my very first brew, with yeast reclaimed from a bottle of Worthington White Shield :)

Latest posts

Back