Brewday Saturday.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 2nd main problem I had was cooling the bloody thing down. I don't have a wort chiller and will almost certainly invest in one, but aside from putting it in the bath with ice water and stirring like mad I wasn't sure what to do. It took absolutely AGES to get it down to pitching temp.

I just let mine cool down naturally. After the boil & the last hop addition I let it stand for 30 minutes, then drain straight to the FV. I work on the principal that this'll sterilise the FV more or less. Then I leave it the rest of the day until bed time when I pitch the yeast. I guess that's quite a few hours - probably about 8. But it seems to work.
Once or twice I've forgotten to add the yeast and found the FV next morning, added the yeast, and it's still been fine.

Another option rather than putting loose hops (pita when bottling) get a muslin bag (big enough for expansion), weigh it down (marbles are good for this) and put the bag in. Make sure you have sterilised it and the marbles beforehand.

I got myself a nylon bag meant for hops, sterilised it, filled it full of juicy hops and lobbed it in. I've read so many contrasting statements about whether it should or shouldn't be weighed down, but I had nothing suitable to hand so at the moment it's semi-floating in my FV.

Brewing is definitely one of those things where people can be in such different schools of thought, as a complete newbie it's very confusing! What some see as an absolute sin is the perfect method for others.

Another question for you all, priming the bottles: should I add solid sugar to the bottles or make a priming solution? Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Cheers all,

Robbie.

I've not got anywhere near my first brew so jelous is an understatement. I'm in the same boat though wanting to dive right in to all grain brewing.
From my research (and far from being anything above novice ) do you think the demerara sugar is really needed? Is it to raise alcohol content? and it seems like there are a lot of bitter hops in there but as I say my thoughts are only from reading books and not experience.
I would love to hear how this goes and hopefully I will do my first brew post soon.

Double IPAs are my absolute favourite beers so that's why I thought I'd dive in and brew one first up.

From what I've read, the sugar is there to help dry the beer out, especially if it's a higher gravity. And also to help meet expected gravity readings. I'm still learning loads so we'll see!

As for the bitter hops, the amount chosen was based on the style and looking at a load of sample recipes, and my personal taste of course!

I'll keep you updated. And dive in, what's the worst that could happen?! :D

Another question for you all, priming the bottles: should I add solid sugar to the bottles or make a priming solution? Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Easiest and most consistent way is to rack the beer to another sterilised vessel by siphoning, and then carefully stir in a small boiled brewing sugar solution. Then just attach a bottler to the tap of this new vessel and start filling.

Mix up a priming solution. Put it into a second barrel then siphon your beer on to the solution. No need to stir your beer thay way - introducing oxygen to your beer at this stage should be kept to as little as possible. Then bottle from this second barrel.

Thanks both, much appreciated. Looking on various websites and using various calculators it seems that 4oz/130g of table sugar is a sweet spot. Sound about right?

Thanks again.

Thanks both, much appreciated. Looking on various websites and using various calculators it seems that 4oz/130g of table sugar is a sweet spot. Sound about right?

Thanks again.
Depends on your brew length and what volume of co2 you want - going on 23l and 2.0 works out at105g of table sugar.

Mix up a priming solution. Put it into a second barrel then siphon your beer on to the solution. No need to stir your beer thay way - introducing oxygen to your beer at this stage should be kept to as little as possible. Then bottle from this second barrel.
I gently stir mine, when I didn't I had serious consistency issues but I've read most people don't so I must be special.

Latest posts

Back