Brewing temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yesterday I started off a Youngs American IPA kit. When I’d added all the cold water to the FV, the temperature was 18 - 19 degrees, (my kitchen isn’t the warmest either) so I put a heat mat under the FV. A couple of hours later, the temperature had risen to 22 so I added the yeast. When I went to bed, the temp was between 22 and 23. However, when I got up this morning, it was 26, which is a tad high so I turned off the heat mat and it’s coming down slowly. I should add at this point that the brew is already fermenting well.

I want to keep the temperature as steady as I can, so should I just put the heat mat on during the night or not bother with it at all? I’m just concerned that the temp will go down below 20 if I don’t keep some sort of heat going at some point. The instructions advise keeping it between 20 to 24. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Yesterday I started off a Youngs American IPA kit. When I’d added all the cold water to the FV, the temperature was 18 - 19 degrees, (my kitchen isn’t the warmest either) so I put a heat mat under the FV. A couple of hours later, the temperature had risen to 22 so I added the yeast. When I went to bed, the temp was between 22 and 23. However, when I got up this morning, it was 26, which is a tad high so I turned off the heat mat and it’s coming down slowly. I should add at this point that the brew is already fermenting well.

I want to keep the temperature as steady as I can, so should I just put the heat mat on during the night or not bother with it at all? I’m just concerned that the temp will go down below 20 if I don’t keep some sort of heat going at some point. The instructions advise keeping it between 20 to 24. Any advice would be gratefully received.
If you can get some insulation around and on top of your FV, that would probably keep the temp constant for a longer time, so you could maybe not have to use the heat mat as much and be able to monitor it during the day and leave alone at night.

Do you have any information regarding which yeast was in the kit?
18-19 degrees is a good temperature for most of ale yeast types

Fermentation is an exothermic (?) activity so when fermentation kicks off it will generate its own heat , so you need to take account of that whilst adding additional heating.

Above advice is great but also consider getting an inkbird or similar to regulate the heat pad , I have found that well regulated constant heat (where appropriate) is key to good fermentation.

And either way your brew will turn out great

If you can get some insulation around and on top of your FV, that would probably keep the temp constant for a longer time, so you could maybe not have to use the heat mat as much and be able to monitor it during the day and leave alone at night.
Thank you, I hadn’t thought about that. I’ve got some towels and/or blankets I could use.

Fermentation is an exothermic (?) activity so when fermentation kicks off it will generate its own heat , so you need to take account of that whilst adding additional heating.

Above advice is great but also consider getting an inkbird or similar to regulate the heat pad , I have found that well regulated constant heat (where appropriate) is key to good fermentation.

And either way your brew will turn out great
I looked at an inkbird but I don't do enough brewing to warrant buying one.

Thank you, I hadn’t thought about that. I’ve got some towels and/or blankets I could use.
Bubble wrap is also a good insulator. And nice and lightweight too.

If you don't want to spring for an inkbird, you could always pick up a seedling heat mat thermostat on Amazon for less than 20 quid. Pretty much the same thing.

I don’t sorry. It was just the yeast that came with the kit.
So it is hard to say what could be the optimal temperature profile.
If it was me, I would not use the heating and let it ferment at 18-19C.
I believe high temperature has a greater (negative) impact with respect to low temp. Just my personal opinion, anyhow

Most dried ale yeasts have a temperature range between 18° and 26°. Certainly the popular ones like S-04 and US-05. Nottingham is a bit lower at 15° to 22° but it's still a wide range. So 18° to 22° would be a safe range imo.

As it's an American IPA the OP is brewing, probably something like US-05

Latest posts

Back