Brewday : Fledgling Pride Sun 5th Oct

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'll be brewing for the 1st time with the 100L SS boiler tomorrow (cheers V1) and also it'll be the first brew with my equipment actually set up permanently so looking forward to it :) grains already weighed and water prepped.

50L Batch
90 min 67 degree mash
90 min boil
32 IBU
Target OG 1.050 (70% eff)

94% Marris Otter
2.5% Crystal Malt 60L
2.5% Torrified Wheat
1% Chocolate Malt

Fuggles FWH to 10 IBU
Challenger FWH to 10 IBU

Fuggles at 15 mins to 6 IBU
Challenger at 15 mins to 6 IBU

50g Fuggles Steeped for 15 mins at 80c

No starter made so using dried yeast, will ferment one 25L fv with s04 and the other with Nottingham

Using Protofloc 5 mins from the end of the boil

Pic's will of course be taken :thumb:

Edit - I've altered the hop schedule a bit to include challenger at 15 mins, what I'm trying to do is get 2 thirds of the total IBU's from FWH with 2 types of hop and then get the final third of the IBU's in the last 15 mins again with 2 types of hop. Then finish off with 50g fuggles hopefully for a nice aroma.

Morning W, you on deck yet? I've just put the power onto the HLT, should take about an hour, time to coffee up and weigh out the grains.

Late start for me, HLT went on at 09:15 - 1hour left on the mash now :D

Wez said:
Late start for me, HLT went on at 09:15 - 1hour left on the mash now :D

My water took a bit longer to come to temp this morning, there was nearly a frost here last night but mashed set at 10.20 65 degrees.

Best of luck with yours. :thumb:

Looks nice - good luck with the new equipment :cool:

Going OK so far, just sparging and transferring to the boiler :)

Help - My preboil volume is supposed to be 66L but I think I'll have only collected 50L before I have to stop sparging at 1.010 - should I top up the boiler now or top up after to get by desired volume :wha:

Scratch that, ended up with 68L @ 1.048 in the boiler :oops:

Just waiting for it to come up to the boil now...

Boiler off and steep hops added, looks like i've got a 1.060 wort :? looking forward to seeing what I get in the FV's :shock:

Yep, I ended up collecting 45L so let it down to 50L at 1.056 which gives me about 78% efficiency on this system. It was a long brewday though I mashed and boiled for 90 mins and also took my time over the sparge - 09:15 to 17:00, 7hr 45mins :shock: The wort from the boiler was nice and clear.

I'll upload a few pics later :D

Should have read this first it looks like you've had a good day :thumb: . I finished washing up at 4.30. Look forward to the bling shots :D

The yeasts were pitched at 6pm the FV that I pitched 2 sachets of S04 into was bubbling by 7:30pm and the one with 2x sachets of Nottingham is bubbling now too. Happy yeast hopefully :pray:

This was definately my most enjoyable brewday, I wasn't under anyone's feet and they weren't under mine :cool: by doing a longer mash and taking my time with a spinny sparger I was able to up my efficiency from a lowly 60 (batch sparging) to 78% for this brew, I was also able to help around the house, getting the Sunday dinner on, that sort of stuff :cool:

Here's a few pics

Transfering Mash Liquor to Tun and after douging in
001-1.jpg
002.jpg

The tun wrapped up warm and the FWH weighed out - Challenger left Fuggles Right
003-1.jpg
004.jpg

FW Hops waiting at the bottom of the boiler and ricirculating the 1st runnings
005.jpg
007.jpg

HLT feeding the spinny sparger inside the tun and collecting the runnings from the tun
010.jpg
011.jpg

3 Tier Set Up and Transferring to Boiler
012.jpg
013.jpg

Waiting for the boil & there it is!
016.jpg
018-1.jpg

15 minute hops & protofloc and cooling
019.jpg
020-1.jpg

Transferring to FV - nice clear wort