Braumeister upper filter seal

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of people have mentioned that silicone hose, split along its length makes a good seal around the upper filter.

Is there a best diameter of tube to use? Has anyone anyone used syphon hose ?

Also for low weight ( grain <3.5kg) batches does anyone put a couple inches of ss pipe on the spindel to keep the filter plate further down?

MashBag said:
A couple of people have mentioned that silicone hose, split along its length makes a good seal around the upper filter.

Is there a best diameter of tube to use? Has anyone anyone used syphon hose ?

Also for low weight ( grain <3.5kg) batches does anyone put a couple inches of ss pipe on the spindel to keep the filter plate further down?

I dont know about the diameter, but i would guess something with a 5-7mm ID remember if it fits too tightly, then it wont go in.

As for low weight - you need not worry, the top filter piece is designed to stop under the bar (provided its inserted properly!) and will just slide up when the pump is on.

I experiment with BM everytime and usually ending up coming off worse :rofl:

Dont put the damn lid on! especially if you walk away to answer the door/phone - its the reason you get boil overs in about 5 - 15 seconds.
Dont use pellets without a very fine gauze, if you dont you end up with a slurry at the bottom of the tank.
Use a hop bag everytime or research better as in your other post.
Check the settings on the programming unit BEFORE you press start.
Sit with the unit dont leave it! Returned to a RCD trip and the damn cat eating the cable.

Enjoy the kit! You paid for it! Just noted on thier website they now make a 500ltr version...how the hell am i gonna fit that in my kitchen :hmm:

Hi new to the forum and did my first all grain brew yesterday on the 20l BM. Lots of very useful information and tips here and other forums so I thought I would use this thread to add a few more.

I managed to obtain some silicone edge seal. £4.00 ish per metre, min charge of £10.00 so I ordered some silicone pipe as well. Tried it yesterday, worked really well, no grain over the side of the malt tube.

Not allowed to post links for some reason, so try Polymax in google and look for edge strip, it's food grade and will withstand 200c.[imgmedia/image_zps71d2d618.jpg.html]
image_zps71d2d618.jpg
[/URL]][/img]

What you can't see is that there is a fine mesh disc below the coarse filter.

From the bottom : coarse-fine- grain- fine-coarse.

The coarse filter without the seal does let the odd grain by.

Thanks for the info about the edging strip as I struggled with split silicone hose myself :thumb: :party:

Good post, looks very neat, I've not had any grain in the mash so far, but if it starts playing up, I'll be revisiting this thread

Hi Baldbrewer yes it is Silicone edging strip, translucent - 3018102, gives 8mm width and adds 1mm to the radius. Which all equals a good fit in the malt pipe without sticking and minimises any reduction in filter surface area. The only downside it is slightly fiddly to fit to both filters together, a couple of goes, wetting the edge trim slightly and it went in a breeze. Unlike the black Aussie supplied trim the filters still float up and down the malt pipe during pump breaks.

Hope this helps.

Baldbrewer said:
Thanks for the info about the edging strip as I struggled with split silicone hose myself :thumb: :party:

Hell yeah! What a palaver it is to try and cut. I stuck it to the bench with Sellotape (clear so that I could see what was going on) and to keep it stationary, and ran a Stanley knife blade only upside down through the hole (to keep it straight)

The ebay member 'autosiliconehoses_outlet' sells it for £1.89. I think I have three mil internal diameter

Just did another brew this weekend with split hose as a seal. Wonderful.

I did notice that if you've got some spiky bits of mesh they puncture through the hose, so I might track down the length of the seal as well.

Next up - wheat beer - Which was the whole purpose for getting the BM

thanks chaps for all the help & pics & tips.

junglie69 said:
I managed to obtain some silicone edge seal. £4.00 ish per metre, min charge of £10.00 so I ordered some silicone pipe as well. Tried it yesterday, worked really well, no grain over the side of the malt tube.

Good find. I think I found the link http://www.polymax.co.uk/silicone-produ ... ranslucent
What size did you order (or part number ) please?

barneey said:
Any of you BM guys thought about just adding another screen?

IMG_9206_zpsc8d433a0.jpg
Really like Barneey's idea, that can be considered as stolen.Would work really well in the BM using a spare seal at the top of the malt pipe.
At the moment I am using a piece of 3/4" silicone tube made to fit around the inside of the malt tube, has to be cut diagonally not straight joined together with a piece of 1/2", would post a picture but site will not let me as I am a new member.

Foxy

junglie69 said:
Hi new to the forum and did my first all grain brew yesterday on the 20l BM. Lots of very useful information and tips here and other forums so I thought I would use this thread to add a few more.

Not allowed to post links for some reason, so try Polymax in google and look for edge strip, it's food grade and will withstand 200c.[imgmedia/image_zps71d2d618.jpg.html]
image_zps71d2d618.jpg
[/URL]][/img]

What size edging did you get? Was it product number 3018107 which is 2mm thick?

Thanks
Rob.

foxy said:
barneey said:
Any of you BM guys thought about just adding another screen?

IMG_9206_zpsc8d433a0.jpg
Really like Barneey's idea, that can be considered as stolen.Would work really well in the BM using a spare seal at the top of the malt pipe.
At the moment I am using a piece of 3/4" silicone tube made to fit around the inside of the malt tube, has to be cut diagonally not straight joined together with a piece of 1/2", would post a picture but site will not let me as I am a new member.

Foxy

The only concern I might have would be not to bend an additional screen where the malt pipe bar runs across it, in reality it might not be too much of a problem, but there is a balancing act between the amount of pressure you need to apply to screw down the thing and ensuring that the bottom of the malt pipe seals effectively, especially when you've got 6Kg of grain in there !

Soay 4700 - Hi I used the 3018102, fitted around both screens, my fine screen is ever so slightly larger than the top one. I found the 1mm was just about right to stop the grains coming past and allow easy fitting in the malt tube. Also the depth wasn't as much as I'd seen on some of the YouTube Aussie versions however a little bit fiddly to put on. Getting the size right was more by luck than anything else. Hope this helps,

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back