Boil Times and how to Know What to Use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
A few all grains in now and perusing some recipes for down the line.

There seems to be a big variation in boil times so I would like to reduce mine - normally 60 min up till now. For example I have two recipes, one for a Pilsner with has a boil time of 90 mins and a American IPA with a boil of 30mins. The hop AA is very low in the Pilsner so assume it needs the longer boil time.

Is the boil time determined by hop usage in the recipe - so if it calls for a 60 min hop addition then that's the boil time? makes sense but can you reduce it and if so how can I find out how without messing up the recipes.

Re timing the hops - I assume you mean when to adjust adding them? - did wonder about that. For example my recipe calls for a 10 min addition (in a 60min boil) so have to work out where that would be in a 45 min boil!

If only I had paid attention in maths class!

Re timing the hops - I assume you mean when to adjust adding them? - did wonder about that. For example my recipe calls for a 10 min addition (in a 60min boil) so have to work out where that would be in a 45 min boil!

If only I had paid attention in maths class!
The timings are from the end of the boil so 10 minutes is 10 minutes even if you were doing a 10 minute boil.

As above longer boil times extract more bitterness so if you are reducing boil times you will need more hops. Your recipe app will tell you how many IBUs you have and if it’s too low add some more until it is right.

Traditional lagers tend to have longer boil times for the flavour (caramel for instance) a long boil imparts rather than anything to do with hops.

Boil duration is mostly about ensuring that you are boiling long enough to kill off any nasties in your wort, boil off undesirable compounds such as DMS (dimethyl sulphide), coagulate proteins and polyphenols and allow for maillard reactions to take place.

The most commonly recommended boil length is 60 minutes. Some people prefer doing shorter, say 45 or 30 minutes. Never tried shorter than 60 minutes myself though.

For some beers (e.g. high gravity imperial stouts) longer boil times may be used to boil off more water and get the desired gravity.

When you add the hops during the boil will impact both the bitterness of the beer and the final flavour.

The earlier you add hops the more bitterness you will get. However, you will also lose more of the volatile flavour compounds. Hence why you normally have an early bittering addition and a later flavour addition.

When it comes to adding your bittering addition, it doesn't really matter whether that is at 60, 45 or 30 minutes. If you add the hops later you will simply need to add a greater quantity to achieve the required number of IBUs.

Slightly shorter way of saying what I wrote above...

When you add hops doesn't dictate boil length.

You can boil for 60 minutes and not add any hops until 30 minutes. Or in the case of a NEIPA, not add any to the boil at all.

With a shorter boil there is a temptation to add before hot break..

Don't...

The opportunity increases considerably for a messy boilover toffee cannon fountain... And some very very rude words.

What @Stu's Brews said in the first paragraph.

Same with cooking. It depends on what you are trying to make.

Cook an oxtail stew for 30 minutes, it'll be ****. Cook a fillet steak for an hour it'll be ****.

One size doesn't fit all, and traditional practices need respecting if you want to replicate the same result.

In a commercial environment where energy cost is critical, boil time isn't reduced below an hour. There's reasons for that which need considering.

Last edited:
I always did 60m boils, until a couple of years ago, when I switched to a 20 + 15 mins approach, with bittering hops at First Wort (when the malt pipe is first raised) and the second addition at the same time as the flavor hops and the clearing tab. BTW, I gave up ages ago on the fashionable hoppy beers as they don't do it for me.

No drop off in quality of the end result, from a shorter boil, for me, but I would not describe myself as a perfectionist. I just do my beer on the weekends and cook the tea, from scratch ingredients, in the week.

Love my life, more than ever at 65.

(May be little drunk and spaced out listening to Crimson and Clover) Over and Over...

The next day - I was well in my cups last night, sorry all.

Last edited:
@Sadfield What are those reasons?
Boil duration is mostly about ensuring that you are boiling long enough to kill off any nasties in your wort, boil off undesirable compounds such as DMS (dimethyl sulphide), coagulate proteins and polyphenols and allow for maillard reactions to take place.
Plus pH reduction and flavour development.

If breweries could achieve the product that customer expects, using less energy, they would. Wouldn't they?

dont some brewers do higher gravities then liquor down do reduce the amount of liquid to boil?
Perhaps some do, but then that also means they are finding an alternative that's preferable to reducing boil time, no? Keeping boil length the same, but reducing volume.

It's likely that liqouring back is a more reliable way of hitting gravity, especially FG which a) determines the tax they pay, b) has to be within a tolerance of what is stated on the packaging.

If breweries could achieve the product that customer expects, using less energy, they would. Wouldn't they?

I can see your reasoning, but that doesn't make it a fact.

I really, really don't buy into the whole the "big boys do it so it must be right" approach. Particularly when many here brew there own because they get a better product than they can buy.

I can see your reasoning, but that doesn't make it a fact.

I really, really don't buy into the whole the "big boys do it so it must be right" approach. Particularly when many here brew there own because they get a better product than they can buy.
Sure, if you want to deluded yourself thinking that the people who brew for profit, would unnecessarily do something unprofitable if it didn't have other value.

Better? Technically, or subjectively?

Have you ever seen a recipe provided by a brewery that has a 30 minute boil? Even "Dare to question", "Hack the system" rebels, Brewdog, recommend 60-90 minute boils in DIYdog.

Sure, if you want to deluded yourself thinking that the people who brew for profit, would unnecessarily do something unprofitable.

When running a business, there are many many considerations, profit being just one.

Decision making in business in very rarely that black and white. Its deciding between conflicting interests for a future that may turn out the way you think.

A few all grains in now and perusing some recipes for down the line.

There seems to be a big variation in boil times so I would like to reduce mine - normally 60 min up till now. For example I have two recipes, one for a Pilsner with has a boil time of 90 mins and a American IPA with a boil of 30mins. The hop AA is very low in the Pilsner so assume it needs the longer boil time.

Is the boil time determined by hop usage in the recipe - so if it calls for a 60 min hop addition then that's the boil time? makes sense but can you reduce it and if so how can I find out how without messing up the recipes.
There aren't any shortcuts for the home brewer, you could trim 10 -15 minutes off the mash time with a fine grind but the boil time when in pursuit of a decent beer remains at 60 minutes for the reasons mentioned above, unless you have a Steinecker Merlin Brew kettle.
Full-volume mash will take an hour off brew day eliminating the sparge but there is sound reasoning behind a 60-minute boil.,

Latest posts

Back