Boil Times and how to Know What to Use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I have seen, people fall into one of the camps:
  • Those that brew with 30/45 minute boils and make fantastic beer and are happy
  • Those that have brew with 60-90 minute boils and make fantastic beer and are happy
  • Those that seem to think everyone should brew for 60 minutes and assume that if you boil for 30 minutes, your beer must be inferior - despite having never tasted your beer.

Then there's the 4th and 5th catagory

• Those that understand the process, and can make great beer by not boiling, or boiling for hours. Knowing that the same result cannot be obtained by an altered process.
  • Those not clever enough to understand, and invent group three despite the there being zero suggestion anyone has made an inferior beer.

Then there's the 4th and 5th catagory

• Those that understand the process, and can make great beer by not boiling, or boiling for hours. Knowing that the same result cannot be obtained by an altered process.
  • Those not clever enough to understand, and invent group three despite the there being zero suggestion anyone has made an inferior beer.
I hate to pi$$ in your parade but a quote from this very thread (admittedly not by you) does suggest that anything other than a 60 minute boil will not give a 'decent' beer so group 3 does indeed appear to not be invented and maybe @Agentgonzo is a little bit more clever than you have him credit for
the boil time when in pursuit of a decent beer remains at 60 minutes

I hate to pi$$ in your parade but....
...that quote made no reference to other peoples beer being inferior. It could be that the sweet spot for @foxy is 60 minutes.

Then again, it could have been a very a general point about stability and shelf life, where there is a very valid conversation to be had about a too short or long boil. If you understand the process.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back