Higher stout consumption driven by female drinkers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife always has half a Guinness if we go for a drink. She hated the stuff originally but my dad told her to put a drop of blackcurrant in it and she's loved it since.

When I was a kid in the 60's quite few women drank half a Bitter or if they were feeling flush a Mackeson
"It looks good, it tastes good and by heck it does you good"

The early days of coronation street -

1719845563917.png

Yes and Mackeson was a milk stout with lactose in that I could drink a little but Barley wine which was also a tipple from the 60's for some ladies when I was a kid is not to my taste at all

Same with Guinness too I from memory think they said it was because it had iron in it, whether it did or does who knows
Couldn't rely on memory, so Googled "Irn Bru" instead. 0.002% Ammonium ferric citrate, is that all? Never knew it was released in 1901 And really can claim to be Scotland's "other" National drink. All-in-all, kept me amused for an hour or so: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irn-Bru.

But Iron in Guinness? Not a chance! And many think trace of iron in water will make for a metallic flavour in beer made from it? More B.S. I remember a description of iron in beer results in the flavour of ... blood! I guess that goes down well with the vampires amongst us?

There was but as it says not enough to make it a health benefit ...
Thanks Chippy.

5-600 parts per billion (µg/l); I do often allow less than one part per million to fall under my radar (unless talking about nerve poisons) Shocking! My bad. You do have to be careful what you say about Guinness Stout ... it gets converted to a new myth supporting Guinness in the blink of an eye (a statement that is already creating social media posts saying Guinness is good for the eyes 🫢 ). Actually 🧐 , that is more iron than UK water supplies (dunno about Irish) have in them these days. I remember not so long ago (20-30 years) my own water supply was documented as having 2-3mg/l (x50 what's in Guinness) ... with accompanying warnings ... the UK water companies seem to have that sorted now?

I do like the articles reference to yeast in Guinness. There hasn't been any of that since the 1980s (very much earlier for "keg"). Though it seems that B12 makes it outside the cell into the beer? The alcohol does reduce a person's ability to absorb B12 though.

Peebee - But Iron in Guinness? Not a chance!

Chippy Tea - There was but as it says not enough to make it a health benefit -

5-600 parts per billion (µg/l); I do often allow less than one part per million to fall under my radar

It may fall under your radar but the fact is it does contain iron! ;)

"I'm almost 100% sure that my dad was given a small bottle of Guinness after giving blood in the mid-80s. Might have dreamt it but I'm pretty sure it happened."

Probably correct. The first few times I gave blood (late 1970s) I was offered a can of Mackeson.

Latest posts

Back