Saison attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisD123

Reaction score
Gonna have a bash at a saison this weekend my thoughts are this

4.2 Kg Pale
1.4 Kg Munich
0.7Kg Wheat
0,7Kg Rye

Wondering about hop regime have lots to choose from inc. noble hops plus the more citrussy varieties just unsure of amounts and timings...i do like mandarina so would like to get some in there..also have bitter orange, coriander, juniper etc..so any suggestions welcome

aiming for around 23 litres and using either CML wallonia or whc farmhouse...not my first attempt at brewing am a returning brewer so to speak,

Never had a Saison until the brew and swap, it’s now one of my favourite styles, from the few I’ve brewed there is no need for additional ingredients the yeast does it all.
My favourite combination is Saaz and Sorachi ace, the current one I have is Styrian Dragon and Citra which again I like, just go with what hops you like, it’ll be great.

Gonna have a bash at a saison this weekend my thoughts are this

4.2 Kg Pale
1.4 Kg Munich
0.7Kg Wheat
0,7Kg Rye

Wondering about hop regime have lots to choose from inc. noble hops plus the more citrussy varieties just unsure of amounts and timings...i do like mandarina so would like to get some in there..also have bitter orange, coriander, juniper etc..so any suggestions welcome
Well, I suppose the real question is "What do you want it to taste like?" Have you tasted a commercial saison that you'd like to model your brew on?

no need for additional ingredients the yeast does it all.
In fairness, it depends what yeast you use. And then it depends on the fermentation temperature as to how that yeast is going to come across
You could get hold of a copy of Phil Markowski's "Farmhouse Ales" and give it a good looking at It should give you a bit of background, at least.

If it;s your first time, you need to be aware that some saison yeasts are STA1 positive while others are not This has implications for final gravity and bottling.

Personally that's alot of grain. Are you aiming for a high gravity beer. Remember a Saison yeast will ferment low. I would keep the first attempt fairly basic, so you can taste the yeast character.

Wallonia (CML) or farmhouse vibes (WHC) so probaly at the higher end of temp range...
I haven't used either of those. I've only used Dupont, to tell the truth. I brewed a couple of batches to see it I could, but it;s not my favourite style. You can add bitter or sweet, dried orange peel, but don't overdo it.

In fairness, it depends what yeast you use. And then it depends on the fermentation temperature as to how that yeast is going to come across
For the first time I would see what the yeast does and then move on from there if you add coriander etc how do you know where the flavour is coming from so I suggest a base beer first.

Personally that's alot of grain. Are you aiming for a high gravity beer. Remember a Saison yeast will ferment low. I would keep the first attempt fairly basic, so you can taste the yeast character.
I agree. A saison is supposed to quench the thirst of farm labourers in the summer, not to render them senseless. About 4,5 to 5% abv is about right. Dupont is stronger and even they say it's too strong for a traditional saison.

Last edited:
What I learnt from making saison is that the yeast (or at least Dupont yeast) is prone to stalling before the beer is finished. Forewarned is forearmed and I gave it loads of nutrient, like a kveik, and it fermented out like a dream, even towards the lower end of the temperature range. Whether that the same for Wallonia, I've no idea, but I've got a sachet from CML in the fridge and I'll give it a go if summer ever arrives.

You could get hold of a copy of Phil Markowski's "Farmhouse Ales" and give it a good looking at It should give you a bit of background, at least.

If it;s your first time, you need to be aware that some saison yeasts are STA1 positive while others are not This has implications for final gravity and bottling.
I notice that WHC Farmhouse Vibes is STA 1 positive

I would strip it back and go with a basic grain bill

4kg pilsner
500g wheat

20g noble hops @60mins
20g Mandarina@10mins + orange peel
30g Mandarina@ flameout

Not sure if you have temp control. If you do start low at 18 and slowly step it up to 24
Thank you...

Back