blow outs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghouse gav

Reaction score
the last few homebrews ive made have had major blow outs, pops the lid off the buckett and froth eveywhere! all in the air lock and everything. ive tryed to put weights on the bucket lid but just come out the airlock more! any advise? ive resorted to just putting the lid on loose. am i doing right?
thanks

not much you can do really apart from replace the airlock with a peice of sterile tubing into a sterile demijohn filled half full with pre boiled cooled water. Make sure the pipe is under the water :D

Above is a very good way of dealing with this should it happen. To prevent it happening, leave more headspace above your fermenting beer.

commsbiff said:
Above is a very good way of dealing with this should it happen. To prevent it happening, leave more headspace above your fermenting beer.

This.

Even when I was doing just kits and extract beers, I tended to only do 4 gallon batches (ok, so I like my beers stronger - the yeasts are usually robust enough to handle 6 - 6.5% abv). I dreaded getting a blowout because I ferment in the lounge, behind the settee (no, you cannot have my wife - it's taken me 35 years to train her) and even though she loves me, I think she loves the Axminster more.

So - loads of headspace. If it looks to be running amok (normally between pitch + 18 hours and pitch + 36 hours), I will split into two FVs. So far, the only time that's happened is with Turbo Cider (hic) - and that's probably only because I slung a litre of pineapple juice in.

doghouse gav said:
the last few homebrews ive made have had major blow outs, pops the lid off the buckett and froth eveywhere! all in the air lock and everything. ive tryed to put weights on the bucket lid but just come out the airlock more! any advise? ive resorted to just putting the lid on loose. am i doing right?
thanks

Don't bother with the airlock, I never do. If theres that much activity, CO2 will keep the bugs out long enough for it to ferment OK.
Leave more headspace.

Back