Are CamLocks safe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Whittaker

Reaction score
This might be a bit of an odd question, but are camlocks 100% safe.

Some context. I recently bought a new external brew pump & camlocks. Now have camlocks on the brewzilla tap, external pump, counter flow chiller and of course the brewzilla sparge arm.
I was playing with the setup to gain experience, so using just warm water and cleaning solution when I noticed a little leak. It was the camlock coming undone. The little arms were raising up if the attacked silicon hose was moved.
It only took a small wiggle to make it leak, but after moving the hose more it fully disconnected. I was a little shocked. I tested all the camlocks and some were solid and others would disconnect with varying amount of wiggling the joint.

I recorded a quick 1 min video: (Somehow messed the first 3-5 second sup) :-p

So question is:
1. Was my expectation of cam locks too high?
2. If Yes, what silly thing am I doing wrong. I expect I should be using those rings on the end some how.
3. I now see there are many type of cam lock safety clips, looks like i need to buy some.

TLDR:
CamLock open themselves if you move the attached pipework around. Most probable user error.

Only a couple of comments- but the arms are expected to fold down past parallel to lessen risk of loosening, some of your installs prevent this.

You are not really wiggling the hose so much as forcing the barb in a specific direction to make it loosen, is there much real world risk?

Obviously there can be manufacturing tolerance problems with any join.

Hey,

It is not user error, the cam locks you are using don't have the safety locking pins. These are ok to use in a situation where you don't get pulsing, such as a valve on a kettle however, on a pump they will, or can work loose.
Choose the camlocks with locking pins to be sure that they will not open.
https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/camlock-type-d-female-x-12-inch-bsp-female/

Pretty much all of the cam locks that are being supplied by home brew retailers are supplied by Kegland, these do not have locking pins. We have to source them from elsewhere.

True, the camlock on the ball valve was very much preventing this, i backed it off and this allowed more clearance, but it was still not 100% perfect. The one on the inlet though, 100% folded down, as is the worst.

As for the forcing the barb, i was just trying to speed up the process a little bit for the video. It does occur after a while with just moving the thick silicon hose around.

However, update: Looks like you can buy a version of these camlocks with locking pins. These have extra holes to insert the locking pins. A little more money, but I like a face free of boiling wort. Dam wish i knew this before hand :-(

Looks like i need to make my own locking solution.

@Rodcx500z - I was thinking elastic bands, but was a little worries about the heat having an effect on them.

I think I'll try to find some of those locking pins then connect them with some wire. Then they can be used in the holes where the keyring chain loop currently is placed.

THANK YOU all for you replies. Silly me for not doing enough research.

The silicone washers come in different thicknesses on a few of my camlocks, this makes some wobblier than others.
You could cable tie the rings on the ends of the camlocks together.
The camlocks aren't designed to rotate once placed.
I use 1/2 inch bsp to 10mm push fits on my pump, very secure attachment.

I think for the upcoming brew, cable tie is the way I'll go. I used Sellotape yesterday. :laugh8:

Yes the thickness of the silicon washer did cross my mind. I did have a half hearted go at removing one of the washers, but they are stuck in there and I just did not have a good tool at hand. :-p

I use camlocks extensively in work but larger..usually on 3" pipe,under lots of pressure!
As said...they will work loose if not set up correctly!
Ensure you have the right seals and if you don't have pins or the pin type...tape them!

Out of interest what seals do the brewing kit camlocks come with?
We use a variety in work...silicone,rubber,neoprene,plastic encapsulated silicone..depends on the destructive properties of the stuff being pumped.

@Clint - They are silicon seals.
@RoomWithABrew - I'll have another go, was using a straw :roll:

Between two options:
I've found some cotter pins on ebay, then I can join them with wire.
Or
Velcro straps.

TBH, I'm a little surprised these are sold in the form I purchased. I bet loads of people run boiling hot wort through these camlocks, that don't lock, lol. Should be called CamIsh.

I once had a camlock fail while pumping wort around and it sprayed everywhere making an absolute mess all over the walls/floor. Not happy bunny. At the time I had a mix of camlocks with/without the holes for the securing pins and it happened to be one without the holes/pins that failed (I did use the pins on those that had them). I upgraded all my camlocks to quick disconnects shortly after that to ensure it didn't happen again and haven't looked back.

Back