Another newbie!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtfreight

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just been to Wilkies to buy a bulb and saw a homebrew kit for sale. Whilst driving home the thought of homebrewing began to have an overwhelming appeal to me so I thought I would join a forum to see what's involved and have come across this one.
I will do some reading and be asking for plenty of advice so please be patient with any stupid questions that I may ask.
I will also be looking for advice on what kit to buy and if it is ok to start with used equipment or would it be recommended to buy new?
Anyway, that's all from me now but I look forward to chatting with you all perhaps a little light hearted banter also.
Regards,
Gary.

gtfreight said:
I will do some reading and be asking for plenty of advice .... (snip) .... perhaps a little light hearted banter also.
You've come to the right place :thumb:
All the advice you could need, and nobody takes themselves or anyone else particularly seriously :lol:

For fermenters etc., buy new, the equipment's cheap enough and should serve you well for years.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Welcome to the Forum Gary, as Mole said lots of advice and :lol: :lol: :lol: here.

Try using the search function if you want to know something simple, but don't waste time, just ask, loads of advice on here. :D

Wilko' s have a wherry kit at a good price I believe, thats the one I started with :D . Our Wilko,s has gone up market, doesn't smell like Wilko's any more :lol: but still like it. They have a Wherry kit at the moment I believe, but there are cheaper kits available if you want ?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am now going to do some searching on what I need to know and how much to spend.
Regards,
Gary.

Hi! And welcome to the forum! The kit isn't too expensive - just look online, or go to Wilkie's. I started with a fermenter, keg and a couple of demijohns (to make cider), and then expanded a bit later. Apart from that, a couple of airlocks, steriliser and some yeast and you're away!

Try Freecycle, as I got 4 demijohns and a second keg from there. Just post a wanted ad and see what happens. Charity shops are also good for demijohns, bottles and even kits!

Welcome aboard! :cheers:

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum. Youll get all the help and advice youll ever need on here and were all happy to help so dont worry about it, just ask away.
Hope you give it a go.
Steve

gtfreight said:
overwhelming appeal

Hey Gary, nice to meet you! What a powerful couple of words those be! :D

Strap on your skates Gary, it's going to be an amazing ride! Ask away!

Welcome to the forum no question is too stupid ask as many as you like as for the equpment Moley says it all buy new depending on what type of brew you want someone will put you right my personal opinion is go to a Home brew shop they can advise you better than wilkos

Back