Amarillo patent has expired

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If my understanding of the law around patents and trademarks is correct, then as the patent has expired, other people can produce and sell it royalty free, but the trademark would still be in place so it would have to be marketed under a different name. A bit like generic drugs.

If my understanding of the law around patents and trademarks is correct, then as the patent has expired, other people can produce and sell it royalty free, but the trademark would still be in place so it would have to be marketed under a different name. A bit like generic drugs.
Nurofen vs Ibuprofen. Agreed.

But, all assuming the same standards, ethics and quality of control is met during the growing/harvesting procedure.

Would say growing and producing a high quality, yielding plant is tough - and the guys with the patent know what they're doing. But, I'm all for reduced premiums so hope the "up and comers" can do a good job.

In saying that though, all the C hops and majority of Yankee hops are expensive - it really depends more on demand than anything more? Coupled with import taxes and duties.

Make a good hop - loads of folk want it, increase your prices - they keep buying, put them up a little more - they keep buying it? Good business init.

The obvious name has gone - Yellow Sub is a blend developed by Barth-Haas in Germany as an equivalent of Amarillo (Spanish for "yellow").

Don't expect prices to suddenly drop because of the patent expiry, hop prices are a complex mix of agriculture and other supply factors, and demand for a specific variety as well as wider demand for aroma/bittering hops. And it takes time for planting material to be grown up and produce crops, even without the whole trademark thing.

But to give you an idea, Cashmere and Centennial are both unpatented but are <10% cheaper than Amarillo. Or Simcoe, which came off patent a year ago.

Dieter would be a good tribute but people would think it was somebody trying to lose weight.

Latest posts

Back