The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually the grainfather trial thread and my impending 40th have just come together in a great idea which I intend to share with the wife tonight.

Being serious for one minute it's great that our hobby spans about 40 or 50 years age difference. i doubt there's many hobbies that could claim that. I guess everyone likes booze!

Being serious for one minute it's great that our hobby spans about 40 or 50 years age difference. i doubt there's many hobbies that could claim that. I guess everyone likes booze!
Haha very true Gareth. Personally I prefer making it to drinking it. Don't get me wrong I enjoy drinking and all but making it is rather fun. I think its good to see the massive age range and seeing the last generation giving knowledge to the next. You don't see that so much anymore.

40. Birthday present from my parents was a book on allotments and a book on home brew. Preferring booze to spades and having just moved to Edinburgh where we have much more space, I went with beer. 5 kit brews in I'm hooked.

40. Birthday present from my parents was a book on allotments and a book on home brew. Preferring booze to spades and having just moved to Edinburgh where we have much more space, I went with beer. 5 kit brews in I'm hooked.

Ha! That's when you know you're getting old. That said, I'd love an allotment. Only got three raised beds that Are 1*2m each plus another stretch of garden about 3*0.5m plus loads of pots but still manage to cram in about 10 different small crops. No hops yet...

You could use both books in the same hobby if you grew your own barley on an allotment. Not sure how easy it is to do the malting mind, but I did see it being done on a history re-enactment series called Life on the Tudor Farm.

To be honest, the price of pale malt is so little that it could not be worth trying to grow it unless you wanted to be able to say, 'I did the whole process myself from growing to drinking my beer.' Mind you, with the price of hops, it would be worth having some hop vines in the garden. The local brew shop sells most hops at £7.95 for 100grams. That's quite a price for a few easy to grow flower heads.

Postage for hops is cheap and you can pick up hops very cheap online. I might grow some at some point for interest value but not to save money. I'm going to raid a hop plant I've found next to the car park at work - I spotted it just too late last year!

Postage for hops is cheap and you can pick up hops very cheap online. I might grow some at some point for interest value but not to save money. I'm going to raid a hop plant I've found next to the car park at work - I spotted it just too late last year!

If it's next to the car park I'd be wary about fumes from the cars leaving lots of nasty deposits on it

Good point. Bit risky perhaps, though the plant isn't right next to the parking bays. Hmm.... :hmm:

Toy could take a cutting of the plant clibit but how would you know the type of hop?

Toy could take a cutting of the plant clibit but how would you know the type of hop?

I would have no idea! Would rather choose a hop type if I was going to grow one myself.

I think we are off topic. :whistle:

I would have no idea! Would rather choose a hop type if I was going to grow one myself.

I think we are off topic. :whistle:
Yeah I think we're off topic too, oh well haha and I agree choose the type if you're going to grow

I resent him for starting this thread, I didn't realise I was such an old barsteward.

Back